G'day πŸ‘‹πŸΌ I'm Jason Wong, Lead Product Manager for Jira Software Cloud, AMA

Viewing page 2 of 3

60 answers

5 accepted

1 vote
Justin W. Arndt November 7, 2018

Hi Jason,

One of my team was asking if the linked issues could show up on the cards in the card view. I know you're trying to keep the cards small, otherwise the visualization gets lost a bit, but that might be nice. Thanks!

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2018

Hi @Justin W. Arndt,

Having rich information available at a glance is definitely something we want to provide on the cards, and ideally we would like to go one further by making it specific to your team.

Like with the issue view, the card view has its own system that determines where specific content can be displayed and what type of content can be displayed. 

As we build out the card system, it should allow us to provide you with more control on what information you have on your cards.

Here's an example of the kind of plans we have to expose more information on the cards.

Justin W. Arndt November 14, 2018

Thanks @Jason Wong! Great to hear. (The image didn't seem to come through on the website...)

0 votes
Marie F. Kent July 12, 2021

@Jason Wong Hello!

I have a request for the Atlassian Cloud Documentation blog posts. Would it be possible to include the date an item was added to each entry? It would really help users to keep up on all the great changes by allowing them to focus on what has been added since they last read the blog.

Here is an example:

Example.png Thank you!!!

0 votes
Peter Hopkinson September 18, 2020

Hi Jason, is there any update on if and when Next Gen Projects will be available on Jira Server? 

0 votes
Dikla Tavor-Haimpur October 27, 2019

Hi Jason,

I'm Dikla, a Senior Atlassian solution architect in Matrix Devops (A platinum partner)
We have a big summit in two weeks, and I will be lecturing about Jira Cloud to our customers.

I just watched your great Webinar, and presentation of this webinar can really assist me in sending the right message about what a great product Jira Cloud is
Is there any way for you to share it with me?
Just a heads up - I have windows, not Mac (if it's a .key file, will you please convert it to .ppt?)

Thanks a million,
Dikla

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

Hi @Dikla Tavor-Haimpur,

Glad you like the webinar - I've got clearance for you to get a copy of the keynote file.

Thank you so much for taking interest in the new Jira Cloud and helping our customers make the most of it.

There's a copy of it in the Partner portal that you should have access to - so please download it there. I'll also send you an email directly with a .ppt copy of it, just in case.

Dikla Tavor-Haimpur November 9, 2019

Hi Jason,

These are perfect news, thanks a million!!!! My summit is in a few days and this will greatly promote my message on the Atlassian cloud products

Could you please refer me to the exact location in the partners portal, though? Could not find it J

Thanks a lot again,

Dikla

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2019

@Dikla Tavor-Haimpur Yep have sent you the direct download link via email. Let me know how the summit goes!

Dikla Tavor-Haimpur December 2, 2019

Hi Jason,

Thanks a lot for your help, the summit was great!!! Customers are really excited about the new Cloud abilities

Thanks a whole lot again,

Dikla

0 votes
Lilian Iyoha May 15, 2019

it is a nice one

0 votes
Jaroslavas Karmazinas February 19, 2019
  1. Accept
Lilian Iyoha May 15, 2019

accept

0 votes
Johan December 3, 2018

Hi @Jason Wong,

I understand that the next-gen projects will move towards a CICD approach. However, we are bound to releases. What are the plans on implementing things like this for the people who would like to see the Jira tickets in versions?

(As for now, I am using labels, because that's the next best thing to use)

0 votes
Nilesh Patel November 29, 2018

@Jason Wong
Can we get some information about https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17266?
When we might get the features in this ticket about Custom Fields for Next-gen projects?
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17266

Several types such as multi-line text field, user-picker field, and version picker is not available currently.

Suggested Solution

Please implement other types of custom fields in next-gen projects as they are available in classic software projects. This is essential for teams that have been using these fields in the classic projects and want to use next-gen projects for their needs.

0 votes
Nilesh Patel November 20, 2018

For Next-gen Jira "Move" from Classic Jira project does not copy over Comments, BUG?

Currently trying to utilize the Next-gen Jira, using the "Move" functionality to take a ticket from a Classic Jira project when attempting this it asked map field etc.
However there is no option to import the comments.
It would be my expectation that all comments are migrated from the ticket in Classic Jira to Next-gen Jira ticket.
Is this correct?

If so then where should I log a Bug for this?

Thanks.

Anyone else running into a similar issue with "Move" operation?

See same posted Question here:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/For-Next-gen-Jira-quot-Move-quot-from-Classic-Jira-project-does/qaq-p/944843

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2018

@Nilesh PatelI just tried and it worked ok for me. i added two comments and both came over.

Nilesh Patel November 20, 2018

@Jack Brickey
Actually I just tried a few more and you are correct that it does appear to work now.
There must have been some other detailed I have missed or there was some special characters perhaps. Or perhaps when I attempted this last week on a single item it was perhaps impacted by https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17272?
Thanks! I am going closed out the other question for now and reopen if it does not work again.

0 votes
Gregory J. Murphy November 15, 2018

Is there a way to prevent everyone from being able to create Next-Gen projects? I would have guessed that the Create next-gen projects permission would do it since it defaulted to anyone. I removed this access and a Jira Admin and someone with Administer Projects who is not a Jira Admin are both still able to create Next-Gen projects. We want to prevent this until we're ready to allow folks to use it.

Before anyone responds, I just learned my test was invalid. It turns out the user I thought did not have site admin rights does. I understand the permission is still going to allow site admins access to next-gen projects. So, I think I am all set, I just need to confirm by testing with a non-admin user.

Like β€’ Jason Wong likes this

Well, I have now verified that a user without Jira Admin but with Administer Projects can create a next-gen project even though I deleted Create next-gen projects permission. 

So, how do I stop users from being able to create next-gen projects?

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2018

Hi @Gregory J. Murphy,

It is not possible to completely disable the next-gen templates from being created. The closest is what you've already implemented with the permissions change for non-admins.

Admins will continue to have the ability to create projects and have access to the full list of available templates, including next-gen templates.

Gregory J. Murphy November 19, 2018

Jason, does that mean if I want to prevent the project administers from creating new next-gen projects, I would need to remove their Administer Projects permission?

0 votes
Stuart_Baynes November 14, 2018

Hi Jason,

Can you provide some insight into which would be the best current solution for connecting a Jira project to Power BI? It seems there have been a few solutions in the past (such as a content pack) but these all seem to have depreciated.

What would be your advice for trying to achieve this? I'm aware of the Rest API but am unsure if this can be implemented in Power BI.

Thanks

Stuart_Baynes November 14, 2018

FYI - we are on cloud.

While I don't profess to know all the apps, the one we are using for connecting to and creating Power BI reports is All-In-One Power BI Connector for Jira Cloud. With it installed, the connection is real easy, copy-and-pasting a link address. With Power BI, we have created a dozen reports that facilitate our project portfolio management. The one challenge I have is creating a portfolio-level Cumulative Flow Diagram, but that is not an issue with the software that links the two, it's probably my limited Power BI skills. :-) I just can't figure out how to report the cumulative count of issues moved to Done while showing periodic (month-to-month) stats for for all the other statuses.

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2018

Jira Cloud and Server are not the same product, and are diverging more with next-gen. That's fine and expected.

Large Jira instances are all Server or Data Center because Cloud is not intended for that scale

Jira PMs hear the complaint that Jira is hard to configure and needs a Jira administrator for too many things. That can be fixed in next-gen, but I think what will become harder is the ability to report over multiple projects.

The team and the team leads will like it. The next-level of management in larger companies - not so much right now.

It remains to be seen whether the Jira 2.0 changes will directly address the reporting needs of larger organizations.

But, you know it needed a rewrite after 15 years. One of the reasons why there are so many old issues in j.a.c. is that the source code is harder to change these days.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2018

Based on Atlassian consulting for over 150 companies over a dozen years, two O'Reilly Jira books, writing multiple commercial plugins ,and running a 4 million issue Jira Data Center instance. But I still recommend Jira for most use cases.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2018
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2018

Agree Matt and I would add that it is my opinion and hope that Classic templates and associated capabilities will continue to exist alongside NG in the cloud. I certainly can't imagine my world on NG only. Granted I could migrate off Cloud to server but this would be a fairly drastic step would it be driven by Classic disappearing.

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2018

@Matt Doar glad you're understanding the approach we're taking here.

Just re-sharing the approach here for the benefit of the others reading the comments in this AMA - we've gone for the simplest use cases to start with, to address those who could never really get into Jira quickly.

Our mission is to make these new next-gen projects span the needs of a really wide range of software teams - picking up from the simplest, all the way to the most advanced setups. It is a complete re-write which reflects the way features are being built up with a lot more to come - early involvement with customers, so that we continue to hear what you need and make next-gen our best project experience yet. 

The introduction of templates for next-gen will help with the multiple project tracking needs you've pointed out in larger organizations. Imagine being able to configure project settings for multiple projects - shared config - but using the new UIs provided in next-gen projects.

This will make it a lot easier to support and service configuration across projects, and like you've mentioned in other threads, if Jira becoes a lot easier to shape and reflect the way your organization truly works, it'll better unite people.

0 votes
Gregory J. Murphy November 13, 2018

Is it possible to assign a project category to a next-gen project? If so, how?

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2018

@Gregory J. Murphy,

It's not possible to assign a project category to a next-gen project but we're been getting a number of requests for this and are considering it.

Gregory J. Murphy November 19, 2018

Please add me to that list.

0 votes
JΓ©rΓ©my Hamel November 13, 2018

Hello, is there a plugin or method to get the load of each member of the team?

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2018

Hi @JΓ©rΓ©my Hamel,

You could use the Issue statistics gadget on the Dashboards, and set it "by assignee" which will give you something like this.

0 votes
TestBench_CS November 13, 2018

Hi, I'm looking for a way in a next-gen project

1) to have user stories assigned to epics and then
2) reading the epic link of user story via REST API.

The best I got so far was

https:// (base url) /rest/api/2/search?jql=issuekey%20%3D%20TDATA-9

in the "Parent Link" custom field (if Portfolio for Jira was installed)

customfield_10015 {
  hasEpicLinkFieldDependency false
  showField false
  nonEditableReason {
    reason "EPIC_LINK_SHOULD_BE_USED"
    message "To set an epic as the parent, use the epic link instead"
  }
}

and in the "Epic Link" custom field

customfield_10013 null

Any ideas?

Georg

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2018

Hi Georg,

You can have user stories assigned to epics. Just go to the Epic and you'll be able to see the Child issues. 

The epic link via the rest API is something we have yet to implement. We have changed the data model a little here where Epics were a special type of endpoint. Epics have now been moved over to the Issues endpoint and we will be introducing an endpoint that specifies what level the issue is at in the hierarchy. This is how we've been able to achieve things like, Epic renaming.

Like β€’ TestBench_CS likes this
TestBench_CS November 14, 2018

Hi Json,

thanks for the quick reply, this saves me from lot of fruitless experiments :). I'll be looking forward for these new features in the API, and meanwhile I will stick to classic projects.

Regards
Georg

0 votes
Raheel Dharolia November 12, 2018

Hello @Jason Wong,

In my newly created Nex-Gen Scrum Project, all my users (type:viewer) are seeing old projects which I created earlier for testing purpose and then removed everyone from those projects but somehow everyone still see those projects.

How to replicate the issue:

1. Create 2 projects "oldproject", "newproject".

2. Create 3 users, 1 of them as viewer and add all 3 to the both the projects.

3. Now, remove the viewer user from the "oldproject".

4. Login with the viewer user and click + i.e. "Create Issue" from Jira Dashboard.

5. You'll see old projects in Project field there.

Due to this issue, I'm converting "viewer users" (Business Stake holders) to "member users" which is not a good idea.

Awaiting your response in this regard. and also I'm having hard time trying to find out an easy way to create support tickets and ask questions related to my Jira/Confluence instance service. Appreciate if you can guide me towards that as well.

Thanks.

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2018

Hey @Raheel Dharolia - Apologies for the trouble, but I think I have figured out the issue.

The default Access setting for next-gen projects it is set to Open, which in turn would still allow anyone with access to the cloud site to see/edit issues in that project.

If you go to Project settings β†’ Details, and set the Access level to private, then only users in the project can see that project or its issues. And since you have removed those people from that project it should be all that is needed at this point

I'm hazarding a guess, but hopefully that fixes the problem.

For help or questions, here on community.atlassian.com is a good way to raise them. If you can't get the answer you need, then please go to support.atlassian.com where it will guide you to more information or to create a ticket.

Raheel Dharolia November 13, 2018

Hello @Jason Wong,

Infact the projects which are visible to users already removed from are "Classic" and not "Next-Gen". I don't see Access Level setting for Classic Projects.

Please advise.

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2018

Hi @Raheel Dharolia,

Next-gen project configuration is completely contained within the project and will not impact any other configuration. The introduction of next-gen should not have affected the permissions setup for your Classic projects. Classic projects do not have the Access level setting you see in next-gen as they use the older permission schemes for you to do that.

If the problem is due to permission problems with respect to Classic projects, could I get you to create a support case so that we can look into your permissions setup and help you lock them down? https://support.atlassian.com/

0 votes
David Stokes November 12, 2018

@Jason Wong how do we join the AMA?

Rico Neitzel November 12, 2018

Just ask your question here and itβ€˜ll be answered on nov 18th. :-)

0 votes
RaeLynn DeParsqual, PMP, CSM, SA November 12, 2018

Is there a Jira Cloud Certification?  It seems that all of the certification courses are for Jira Server only.  Please advise.

Julia
Atlassian Team
November 12, 2018

Hello RaeLynn,

At this time, the Jira Administration and Jira Project Administration Certifications focus on Jira Server.  Our Certification for Scrum Masters, Agile Development with Jira Software, is platform-agnostic.

That said, the Server Certifications are not out of reach for Cloud customers.  Most questions are platform-agnostic. 

For Jira Project Administrators:

Atlassian's Project Administration in Jira Server course, along with some study recommendations found in the Exam Topics PDF, can fully prepare you for the exam, and the course includes a 24-hour window of access to a Jira Server environment for labs and hands-on exploration. 

For Jira Administrators:

Atlassian's Certification Prep Course will help experienced Jira Administrators understand what to expect and how to prepare for the exam, including the Server-specific parts.  

For both:

We recommend supplementing the above with careful attention to Atlassian's Server product documentation, and forming or joining a study group if possible.  

0 votes
Paul November 12, 2018

How do I create multiple boards for a single project.

The only way I know to create a board is by creating a project.

I do not know how to add additional boards to the project.

I am trying to set up a project with multiple teams - I would like to be able to have a single product backlog with multiple teams pulling from the product backlog into sprints on a team by team basis.

Thx

Paul

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2018

Hi Paul

Within the project, if you click on the dropdown shown below, there's an option at the bottom to Create board - you can create as many as you want, and each one can have it's own filter

Screenshot_4.jpg

0 votes
Kernel Panic November 12, 2018

How to add Default watchers in JIRA if new ticket created. 

Not only for one ticket. For all the newly created ticket. 

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2018

Hi @Kernel Panic,

You can do this using the workflows in Classic projects - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Default-watchers-on-issue-creation/qaq-p/340479

We'll take your request onboard for how this might work for next-gen projects.

0 votes
Johan November 11, 2018

After Github and Bitbucket and some other tools, are there plans to integrate Perforce as well?

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2018

Hi @Johan Terink,

Perforce's website has this https://www.perforce.com/jira-and-perforce-integration although I do not know if it works with Jira Software Cloud. Best is to contact Perforce to ask them if they will upgrade their integrations to work with the New Jira Cloud. We'll do the same on our end.

0 votes
Aleksey Shchukin November 9, 2018

How can we switch from Jira Cloud to Jira Service Desk Cloud?

and how do I know which version we are on now?

0 votes
aaron Echavarria November 9, 2018

HI @Jason Wong I have some problems with my confluence installation, afeterthat five or six days confluence produces somes mistakes and its imposible to access inside the app.

This is the error , How can I fixed that ?

logo System Error

A system error has occurred β€” our apologies!

For immediate troubleshooting, consult our knowledge base for a solution.

If you would like to receive support from Atlassian's support team, ask your Confluence administrator to create a support issue on Atlassian's support system with the following information:

1. a description of your problem and what you were doing at the time it occurred
  2. a copy of the error and system information found below
  3. a copy of the application logs (if possible).

Your Confluence administrator can use the support request form to create a support ticket which will include this information.

We will respond as promptly as possible.
Thank you!

Return to site homepage…

The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved from the container. Therefore very limited information is available in this error report. 
The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved due to the following error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set

Cause

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'i18NBean' defined in class path resource [setupContext.xml]: Bean instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.atlassian.confluence.util.i18n.I18NBean]: Factory method 'getI18NBean' threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid locale format: (#context["xwork.methodaccessor.denymethodexecution"]= new java.lang.boolean(false), #_MEMBERACCESS["ALLOWSTATICMETHODACCESS"]= NEW JAVA.LANG.BOOLEAN(TRUE), @JAVA.LANG.THREAD@SLEEP(5000))(MEH)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.instantiateUsingFactoryMethod(ConstructorResolver.java:599)

caused by: org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.atlassian.confluence.util.i18n.I18NBean]: Factory method 'getI18NBean' threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid locale format: (#context["xwork.methodaccessor.denymethodexecution"]= new java.lang.boolean(false), #_MEMBERACCESS["ALLOWSTATICMETHODACCESS"]= NEW JAVA.LANG.BOOLEAN(TRUE), @JAVA.LANG.THREAD@SLEEP(5000))(MEH)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.SimpleInstantiationStrategy.instantiate(SimpleInstantiationStrategy.java:189)

caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid locale format: (#context["xwork.methodaccessor.denymethodexecution"]= new java.lang.boolean(false), #_MEMBERACCESS["ALLOWSTATICMETHODACCESS"]= NEW JAVA.LANG.BOOLEAN(TRUE), @JAVA.LANG.THREAD@SLEEP(5000))(MEH)
    at org.apache.commons.lang3.LocaleUtils.toLocale(LocaleUtils.java:98)

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2018

Hi @aaron Echavarria,

I'm sorry for the frustration you're experiencing with Confluence. However, I focus solely on the Jira product and thus am far from a Confluence expert. Please feel free to visit support.atlassian.com where you can search the knowledge base or log a ticket.

0 votes
Josh Allen November 9, 2018

I really like the next gen projects and understand the need for it. As a jira admin, it appears that when someone creates a private project, the admin loses access completely, so if someone needs help, they have to add me. 

Will admins have ability to access private projects in the future?

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2018

Hi @Josh Allen

I understand your concern. We shipped the next-gen projects with 3 basic access levels and as an admin you must have access to a project created with private access.

In the future we may consider adding additional access levels or enhancing the existing access levels based on customer feedback. 

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2018

@Josh Allen - I should also add, that as a site admin, you still have visibility to private projects. You will be able to see them if you search or navigate to them in the list of all projects. You will however not be able to access the data within them, given that they have been set to private.

0 votes
rgsilva-aegro November 9, 2018

I've mistakenly cleared the backlog filter and now it shows all the tasks, include done ones. How do I restore it to its original view? Pretty sure it was a default backlog view filtering, as I don't remember changing anything in the past.

Suggest an answer