Force users to Log work when resolving issues

Andrew Dawson August 29, 2022

Hello :)

We are trying to use the workflow to force users to log their work when resolving an issue. Is there a way to automatically select the "Log work" field, such that the "Time spent" field appears, when the users click through the workflow to the resolve issue screen?

The only way I've found to force the issue so far is make the "Log work" field mandatory to be edited when resolving an issue, which means that they have to tick it, but not that they have to input time spent.

I can't make the Time spent field mandatory because it doesn't appear on the screen until the Log work tickbox is ticked.

Any help would be appreciated :) Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2022

Hi @Andrew Dawson 

Welcome to the Community!!

You will need to edit the workflow to include the transition screen and insert a validator in the transition to resolved status.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/make-custom-fields-required-in-a-workflow-transition-in-jira-server-691011903.html

Let me know if this helps

Thanks,
Pramodh

Andrew Dawson August 29, 2022

Hi @Pramodh M ,

Thanks for the warm welcome and your quick response.

I've already configured the workflow to include the transition screen, but the problem is that I cannot select a validator to require the "Time spent" field to be filled in, because it is only present once the "Log work" tickbox is ticked.

Is there a way to automatically tick that tickbox?

Regards,

Andrew

Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

Hi @Andrew Dawson 

> I can't make the Time spent field mandatory because it doesn't appear on the screen until the Log work tickbox is ticked.

Well I dont see any tickbox if you use the field Log work on the screen... 

Like in the default Resolve issue screen here.

Try with this field ;) It should work perfectly normally with a validator to make it mandatory... 

I hope it helps a bit.
Dam.

Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

Hi @Andrew Dawson 

> I can't make the Time spent field mandatory because it doesn't appear on the screen until the Log work tickbox is ticked.

Well I dont see any tickbox if you use the field Log work on the screen... 

Like in the default Resolve issue screen here.

Capture d’écran 2022-08-30 à 09.08.26.pngCapture d’écran 2022-08-30 à 09.08.57.png

Try with this field ;) It should work perfectly normally with a validator to make it mandatory... 

I hope it helps a bit.
Dam

Andrew Dawson August 30, 2022

Hi @Dam 

Excellent, thanks! This looks like it solves the issue. The problem was that on the Resolve Issue Screen, we also had the "Time tracking" field showing, which meant that the "Log work" was a tickbox, which once ticked, showed the "Time Spent" field. Removing the "Time Tracking" field, now shows the "Time Spent" field by default, and that can be made mandatory to be changed.

Thanks,

Andrew

Like Dam likes this
Andrew Dawson August 30, 2022

@Dam do you want to post this in a separate thread, so I can accept it as the answer? The original response wasn't really the answer to my question.

Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

@Andrew Dawson its all fine accept @Pramodh M answer ;) we were all on the same answer here :)  

Like Andrew Dawson likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events