Force a different assignee than current when transitioning

Benjamin Charbit April 27, 2021

Hey Jira community,

Using Automation, I'd like to create a rule that forces my developers to assign the story to a different team member than themselves when they completed their work so it can be reviewed.

So far I haven't found how to.

Thanks a lot!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 28, 2021

Hi @Benjamin Charbit ,

What you're going to need here is a workflow validator. Please try the following:

Head over to your transition of interest. Make sure a transition screen is set with the assignee field present (optionally create a new screen for this).  Add a 'Field has been modified Validator' for the assignee field (optionally provide a meaningful error message).

Cheers
Thorsten

Benjamin Charbit April 28, 2021

So I just set it up as you can see:image.png

But unfortunately, when I keep myself as assignee the transition is still happening. Any idea? thanks!

Ok I'm in an idiot. I didn't see the exemption lol. It works now!

Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 28, 2021

Glad to hear it works now. Welcome to the world of workflow customization. 😄

1 vote
Alex Fox April 28, 2021

As the other messages mention, this requires a workflow validator. However, I suggest using the "Separation of Duties" validator as it is for specifically this purpose.

Thanks

I'm afraid that SoD does not solve my need. SoD prevents the current assignee to execute the transition if I understand correctly. While what I want I want is that the assignee who completed the story is able to perform the transition but MUST pick a new assignee. Thanks a lot for your help :)

Like Alex Fox likes this
1 vote
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

Hi @Benjamin Charbit !

You can create a post function on that specific transition (e.g. from In Progress to UAT) and assign it to a specific user

Screenshot 2021-04-28 085956.png

Unless you want something else, like a validator.

Let me know and we'll take it from there!

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks. I want the developer who completed the story to be able to pick who he/she wants to review the said story. So I need to be more flexible. 
What I want is to make sure that the "assignee" of the story HAS changed.

0 votes

Thanks a lot for your answer. Trying

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events