Firewalld instructions are incorrect

René Kåbis December 22, 2015

It seems that the Firewalld instructions are incorrect. Specifically, the very last group of commands, I get the following error:

[root@jira services]# firewall-cmd --permanent --add-rule ipv4 nat OUTPUT 1 -p tcp -d 127.0.0.1 --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8443
usage: see firewall-cmd man page
Wrong usage of 'direct' options.

I am very new to firewalld, so I am unclear as to how to correct this issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2015

Hi Rene, 

It was missing the --direct flag on that command. I've already updated our documentation. The correct command is:

firewall-cmd --permanent --direct --add-rule ipv4 nat OUTPUT 1 -p tcp -d 127.0.0.1 --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8443

Regards, 

Renato Rudnicki

1 vote
SCM - Software Confgurations November 7, 2017

In my case, I had to add the rule to the trusted zone (for the lo interface) and with a couple of minor changes.  Note:  the rule didn't take effect until the --reload was done.  Disclaimer:  I'm not a firewalld/iptables expert.

firewall-cmd --zone=trusted --permanent --direct --add-rule ipv4 nat OUTPUT 0 -p tcp -o lo --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8443

firewall-cmd --reload

The above is the firewalld implementation of 

iptables -t nat -I OUTPUT -p tcp -o lo --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8443

from the Firewalld instructions page which works but isn't persistent (the rule goes away if you run "firewall-cmd --reload" or otherwise bounce the firewalld service.)

This resolved the jira health check with gadget titles showing as "__MSG_gadget.xxxxxxx":  https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/health-check-jira-base-url-859447384.html

Cheers,

Andrew Reedick

Suggest an answer