Find issues with deleted comments

Paul Krueger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2023

I'm trying to figure out if there's a jql query or something exposed in the API that would allow me to find issues where a comment was deleted. I'm not worried about recovering the content of the comment, I just want to know that a comment was deleted. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi @Paul Krueger 

Once a thing is deleted from jira/confluence/etc, if there isn't any "trash" functionality available, then it's gone.

Paul Krueger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2023

Yes, I know that, and I probably haven't properly explained what I'm after. Let's say I commented on an issue and then deleted the comment. In the issue history there will be a line that says "Paul Krueger deleted a Comment". I want to find all issues where Paul Krueger deleted a comment. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

@Paul Krueger thanx for the clarification! Maybe I have misunderstood it. Have you try using the changelog? 

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issues/#api-rest-api-3-issue-issueidorkey-changelog-get

Paul Krueger
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2023

I have. Interestingly enough, when looking at the change log I can see the contents of the deleted comment, but not that the comment was deleted. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2023

I see that the string become null

"items"[{"field": "Comment","fieldtype": "jira","fieldId": "comment","from": null,"fromString": "another comment","to": null,"toString": null}]

Like Paul Krueger likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events