Fields don't copy from issue to a linked issue when utilizing Automation for Jira

Nita Brumbaugh January 25, 2023

I have been trying to get the system field FixVersion copied from one issue during a  "Create Issue" action to the issue being created.    Issue A is created in JSM and then utilizing Automation for Jira to create a 2nd issue in a Jira project.

Ex.  Issue A has the field Fix/Version filled in

I do a "Create Issue"  action with an automation rule after the "IF statement"

In the Create, I do a "Copy from Current Issue"

When Issue B is created, the FixVersion field is not filled in

Automation for Jira does not copy the value from Issue A to Issue B

I have tried "Add from Current Issue"

"Add from Trigger Issue"

"Add from Parent Issue"

smart value of:

{{fixVersion}}

{{issue.fixVersion}}

{{triggerIssue.fixVersion}}

{{issue.fixVersions.name}}

I even have both Jira projects within the scope of the automation rule.   These fields are specified within the workflow fields also

I have logged the field in the audit log to see if it is filled in and no luck

I have had this happen also on custom fields.   

We have over 100 automation rules and I'm about at my wits end with Automation for Jira because sometimes the copy from works and sometimes it doesn't!!!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

Hi @Nita Brumbaugh - Version doesn't carry over from project to project even if the version is the same name.  So copy from trigger issue won't work for this.

The challenge is that fixVersion has a unique ID from project A to project B.  You need to be able to map the fixVersion ID from project A to the fixVersion from project B.  Given you're on Jira server, I'm not sure there's a way to easily establish that mapping.

Nita Brumbaugh January 25, 2023

Thank you for the information.

I have the same issue with custom fields between projects, but I might be able to utilize their smart value.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

Most custom fields should be fine using smart value.  fixVersion and affectsVersion are just anomalies because they have that underlying ID to worry about.  

Suggest an answer