Field Mandatory based on any custom field value

sanjay_sapra January 27, 2021

Hi Team ,

I want to do some fields as mandatory in my Project A .Based on some custom field values .

Like in Project A , Custom field is "Issue Source" . I want if Issue Source is "Third party" then Custom field "Name of Third Party" is Mandatory .

If Issue Source is internal then "Name of Third party" is not mandatory.

2 answers

1 vote
Kate Kabir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

Hi Sanjay

Thank you for your response.

I can confirm that ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud does not currently have Behaviours and this is something that we are considering at the moment as shown on the ticket In our public backlog located here.

Currently, this is in a gathering interest stage so we do not have any plans on how this will work or when this will be available that we can give you any information about.

I would advise that you add the use cases that you would like to see from this feature to this backlog ticket so that our product manager can see these and review these as he plans this feature.

Thank You.

Kind Regards

Kate

sanjay_sapra January 28, 2021

@Kate Kabir Thanks for information . Please find below use case .

I have custom Field "RCA Status "  in my Project . And my requirement is this fileld should be mandatory when person mention "Type of Change" as Bug fix . 

If he/she choose type of Change as Business Requirement , then Field Name "Business Approval" is mandatory .

And both having Issue Type is "Change Request"

Hope this clarify my requirement . 

Kate Kabir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

Hi Sanjay

The case study as you have described above requires a Behaviours feature. It is not possible to achieve this in the Cloud environment. We do not have a workaround to achieve this requirement at the moment. 

You add the use cases that you would like to see from this feature to this backlog ticket so that our product manager can see these and review these as he plans this feature located here.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thank You

Kate

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2021
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2021
sanjay_sapra January 27, 2021

@KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH  my requirement is for mandatory field while ticket generation . and field come with (*) sign as normal mandatory field . I think above answers shared by @john  having condition for workflow transition.  

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2021

Hi @sanjay_sapra ,

So you need to mandate a field while creating a ticket, like "Summary" field.

You can create a field configuration. and make the need field as "Required".

And edit field configuration scheme associated with the project.

Now associate the "Field Configuration" to issue type.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/change-a-field-configuration/ 

Thanks.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

Hi Sanjay,

You will not be able to make a field mandatory at creation time based on the value of another field in Jira Cloud. You can do that with Server version using ScriptRunner Behaviours add-on from what I understand. But it is not available in Cloud.

Either the field is required at create time (using Field Configuration as @KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH has said) or it is not. 

Jeanne Schock April 3, 2023

At my previous job, our jira admin somehow managed to make fields mandatory based on values from another field. This was in jira cloud. I see this response from John Funk several times. I don't know how our admin managed to do this, but it worked. Can someone speak to alternates to what John is saying is not available in the cloud? Perhaps it was a simple automation rule?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2023

Hi @Jeanne Schock - You can do it using Forms from within Jira Service Management. But not Jira Software Cloud without an add-on. And the only one I know that could possibly do it is the new ScriptRunner Behaviours app. 

Jeanne Schock April 5, 2023

Thanks for clarifying,  much appreciated.

Suggest an answer