Make a custom field mandatory based on another field value on Jira Cloud

Angela Salunga July 13, 2020

I want to require the custom field RCA (Root Cause Analysis), but only for Priority = Highest or High.

How do I create this in JIRA cloud?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2020

Hi Angela - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The short answer is that you cannot do that very easily in Jira Cloud. 

The only option I am aware of is:

1. Create two transitions in your workflow for the point you want to make sure that RCA is populated (like the transition to Done). 

2. For one transition, place a condition where the Priority = Highest or High. 

3. For the other transition, place a condition where the Priority != Highest or High.

4. Then place a validator on the transition in Step 2 above to make the RCA field required. 

It's not pretty but it should work for you. 

Hi John, thanks for the quick answer. I tried your suggestions, but it shows me 2 available transitions now - ideally only 1 transition should appear depending on Priority field value.

Bug-SprintBoard.png

Bug-RCA transition.png

These are the conditions for both RCA and Non-RCA:

Bug-RCA conditions.png

Bug-NonRCA conditions.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2020

In the second transition (Ready for QA) change the heading from Any of the following conditions to All of the following conditions.   :-)

It works, thanks John!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2020

Great!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events