Export as excel no longer exists in the menu options

Ilan Boock August 24, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Exporting Search Results to Microsoft Excel

As per the help file and several other questions here I could not find any answer.

All of a sudden the option of exporting to excel has been removed from the export menu options. Have been using it over 2 years without any issues.

Has this option been removed by Altassian in the new cload release?

4 answers

0 votes
Mats Holmblad August 28, 2016

We are also really missing this option. Export to CSV in not an option since its comma separated and text can include commas as well. Import to Excel becomes corrupt.

0 votes
KirillB August 26, 2016

Does anybody know how I can export issues in normal excel format? Hey Atlassian we need this option back!

0 votes
Margaret Menzies August 25, 2016

I too, just discovered the Excel option was gone when I went to export a weekly report for management.   I'll also follow-up with a report.

Margaret Menzies August 25, 2016

So, support replied as follows:

Previously, we had an issue on Excel due to Microsoft updates. JIRA’s feature for exporting issues as an Excel file (.xls) works by creating an HTML file and saving it with an .xls suffix. However, the recent Microsoft Office security update (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-088 - Critical) now prevents these files from being opened if the user has a high security setting in place, as the change of the file extension is considered to be a security vulnerability. And so, customers got an empty screen when trying to view the Excel reports with the latest Microsoft Excel. Therefore, we believe that our HTML-based Excel export option is no longer the best solution.

Our intention is to eventually deprecate the HTML-based Excel export option in JIRA Cloud also. In the meantime, we will change the .xls suffix to .html to reinforce that it isn't a native Excel file, and to make it easier to open it in web browsers. Also, we recommend users switch to our new CSV-base Excel export option in the long term.

For more information, you could see JRA-61891.

In other note, we've discussed with our developers and verified that changing the .html to .xls after exported the issues to HTML format will work as well.

---------

Straight CSV files don't work well for me as I need to format them into a real report to be submitted to other executives.   I am hoping the developers/product owners can come up with a better solution than to just remove this useful feature. 

0 votes
Rob Boumans August 24, 2016

there was no communication about this. We really miss this option.

Last week it seemed there were problems, the export didn't work as we know it. now it disappeared. I will create a ticket.

Suggest an answer