Estimated End Data Calculation

Antonio Prioletti April 6, 2021

Hi all,

I'm exploiting time tracking to estimate the end date of our project Jira tasks: est. end = start + time spent + remaining estimate. Though, one issue that I'm facing, is how to take in consideration if an engineer paused the work on this task, and continued the week after. In this case, the estimated end will obviously be off by a week. I believe this is quite a common issue, so was wondering what are the possible ways of addressing it.

Thanks,

Antonio

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2021

Hi @Antonio Prioletti 

How do you know using the Jira issue data that work has paused?  Or that it has restarted?

If you have a way to identify and quantify that for an issue, you may be able to do this with automation for Jira (A4J) rules.  Please look here if you are interested in experimenting with that approach:

Best regards,

Bill

Antonio Prioletti April 8, 2021

Looking around I haven't found a way to know transitions from progress->open and something that after goes back to open..so would be hard to use the various automation. 

Probably the easiest here is to play with the task status and, if in progress, use the time tracking...if not, use the and end date that the engineer will have to specify 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2021

Sounds like a good idea to try.  Please consider talking to the team about practices for pausing work; they may decide that moving to a different status (out of "in progress") gives you the information needed to help with forecasting.

Antonio Prioletti April 9, 2021

Yep, make sense! Thanks Bill!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer