Error while transition an issue

Derrick Hardison April 7, 2013

When we try to "Resolve" or "Close" an issue, we get the following message:

"The JIRA server was contacted but has returned an error response. We are unsure of the result of this operation."

I've looked at the catalina.out and don't see any log messages linked to this, I've also looked at the atlassian-jira.log and don't see any log messages linked to this.

We just installed Jira on Linux with MySQL and a trial license.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Ok, uninstalled (but left the application-directory alone). Installed again and viola, it works.

We had a server failure and my guess is that it corrupted one or more pieces of the install.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2013

This is a difficult one - on the surface, the first response really is "what does the log file say", but you've done exactly the right thing and looked already, and found nothing.

My best guess is that although you don't think you have seen anything related, you have, but you've not recognised it as related. To rule out that guess, could you nip back into Jira, try a resolve or close, and then go back to the log and simply read everything from a couple of seconds before you clicked, through to a couple of seconds after you got the error in the UI?

What logging level should I put it on. When I say, there is nothing linked to the action, I mean that no log entries come up at all when during that time.

I've since discovered some other things going wrong like attaching a file, "log work". Also, clicking on the "History", "Workflow" and other links do the same thing.

I'm currently going to reinstall and see if it was just a botched install.

Suggest an answer