Error on create issue: Reason for reopen required

Rumit Patel June 30, 2013

Hi,

I am getting this error while creating an issue: Reason for reopen. Reason for reopen required.

I am using my own screen scheme, field configuration and workflow. All derived from the JIRA defaults with minor updates.

My screen scheme is defined as:

Use my custom created screen (MyProj_Default_Screen) for Create Issue, Edit Issue and View Issue and other default operations. MyProj_Default_Screen does NOT have 'Reason for reopen' field.

MY custom workflow is defined as:

I have a 'Create Ticket' transition which creates a new form and moves the issue to the 'Open' status. This is similar to JIRA's default workflow. So I assume that my Create Issue operation will use MyProj_Default_Screen and corresponding field configuration.

I have my own Field Configuration in which I have made Reason for reopen field (available in JIRA default fields) as 'Required'. However, this field is associated with ONLY MyProj_ReoOpen_Screen and this screen is associated with ONLY 'Reopen' Transition in my workflow.

I am not sure why am I getting this feild required error on Create Issue screen?

Regards,

Rumit

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2013

Hi Rumit,

You need to first disable this field being required from field configuration, just as Nancy and Nic pointed out.

And then, you can make it required on the re-open transition by using a Field Required validator in the workflow.

To have the Field Required Validator available in your workflow, you have to install the Jira Suite Utilities Plugin.

I hope this helps.

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2013

Agreed with what @Nancy, @Nic and @Taiwo mentioned. The JIRA Suite Utilities plugin is indeed a powerful tool for having a good workflow layout.

2 votes
Nancy Blackwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2013

Your field configuration is making it required. Instead of marking it required in the field configuration, I would use a validator on your transition, that way only the reopen screen will have that field required.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2013

Yup. You need to make the field optional in the field configuration. I'm only commented to clarify that Nancy is spot on because Jira's field configurations are very black and white - a field is either mandatory or optional, throughout it's lifecycle. Screens, other fields, status, where field is used - all utterly irrelevant as to whether it demands you fill in a field or not.

Suggest an answer