Epics with Tasks are not displaying on Kanban

Laurie Egbert March 8, 2021

I have created Epics for each of my ongoing projects. (We are Next Gen)

There are five. Four have tasks.

Only two of them however, display on the Kanban. 

1.png

I have tried selecting individual epics that appear in the filter. But this doesn't turn them on in the kanban view.

2.png

The only place I can get access to these is by going to Issues. Then filtering by Epic. 

3.png

Our jira admin also has not been successful in locating a reason. 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Laurie Egbert March 17, 2021

I worked with support. It seems that for the next gen, I had to turn on the Backlog feature. Then, I can go to the Issues page to drag the backlog issues onto the list for the board. An extra step I don't enjoy but the issue is solved. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2021

Thanks for the update!

Like Laurie Egbert likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

Hi Laurie - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What status are all of the Epics in? Do any of them show up in the Backlog? 

If you look in my last image you'll see they range from done, in progress, and what you don't see is I have some selected for dev as well. 

Yes, they are also visible on backlog. 

The ONLY place I can't see them is my Kanban.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

No, the status of the Epics - not the children. 

One is set to In Progress. The rest Selected for Dev.

2021-03-08_14-23-21.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

Actually, I am not even sure why those 2 should be showing up haha. My Epics don't appear on my board either. 

What happens if you do a Group By Epic for swimlanes? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

Nevermind - that IS what you have selected. The only thing I see different on yours than mine is the Labels by the quick filters. Are any of those set? 

I use a number of labels, yes. The only ones showing in the filter are the ones assigned to the Epics it shows. 

How does this end up going to a jira escalated support?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

You can submit a support ticket here:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Please post the solution back here so we can close it out.  :-)

Like Laurie Egbert likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events