I've been trying to export a csv file with selected columns from the Advanced search section.
However, the files being exported aren't displaying the Epic names correctly?
So I've attached 2 images. Image 1 is an example of how 2 issues under 2 different types of Epics (which we use to categorize larger projects that has multiple tasks/ stories), the Sales Operations Requests and Finance Requests. However, as you an see in image 2, it doesn't export the Epic name when it's in a csv?
My idea csv is showing the Epic names under the Epic names column, with all the tasks / stories next to it.
Hi there, Angela.
While there are a couple of questions being asked around this topic (such as How to export "Epic Name" field?), I can confirm on the latest version of JIRA 7.11.2, I was able to export the Epic Name according to the screen shot below:
Can you please confirm the version that you are running on before we troubleshoot the issue further?
Thanks for your response. I believe I have the cloud version: Jira 6264ea8c
Copyright © 2002 - 2018 Atlassian Corporation Pty Ltd. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
As for the Epic name, if you reference the 2nd image I uploaded, I have already included the Epic name (under the Custom Field (Epic Name) column G). My issue is that Epic name field is not showing all of the Epics.
For example: how the projects currently run:
Project name (Epic)
--> Story name 1 (Story)
--> Story name 2 (Story)
--> Task name 1 (Task)
--> Task name 2 (Task)
--> Task name 3 (Task)
What I want is to export all of those stories and tasks with the Epic name column, showing it under that Epic name.
For example, this is my ideal export:
Let me know if that makes sense. The issue is I'm not getting all of the Custom Field (Epic Name)s.
Hi there, Angela.
Thank you for the clarification from your end. I had this tested on my JIRA Cloud instance and verified that I am seeing similar behavior on my end. For example:
As we can see here, the Epic Name for issue type Story and Task is absent from the export. This is directly reflecting the result that I am getting from the Issue Navigator itself here:
After doing a little bit of extra research, I understand that the Epic Name field refers to the name of the Epic issue type itself and the way it is linked to other issue types (Story and Task) is via Epic Link. I understand your point of having the Epic Name listed under these issue types nevertheless. However, I think it is important for us to understand the difference between these 2 fields as mentioned in the How do I get Epic Name field to show on screen? question that was asked before.
It relates to the Learn how to use Epics in Jira Software page where it is mentioned:
Epic name - A short identifier for your epic. This will be used as a label on issues that belong to this epic.
So, we can see that the Epic Name field is exclusive only to the Epic issue type, which explains why we are seeing it being exported as Epic Link for other issue types instead.
I hope the explanation makes sense to you. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.
Pardon me for the delayed response. A little bit busy on my end for the last couple of days. Due to the way the field was built, I was unable to meddle my way through to make the Epic Link display as the name itself rather than the issue key in the CSV export.
I dug through the public issue tracker and came across the following ticket that is reporting the behavior we are seeing here:
I encourage you to visit the suggestion page linked above and click the Vote and Watch links near the top right to show support for the feature. By doing this, it will ensure you are proactively informed of progress and updates going forward.
Your feedback is also appreciated. You can do this by leaving a comment on the ticket as this helps us prioritize & understand the use case of the feature request.
Meanwhile, you might consider reaching out to the Atlassian Experts as an alternative to see if they are able to make this work. Let me know how that goes for you if you decide to do that.
This would certainly be an excellent feature added to Jira. For the time being, I created an Excel file with all my epics by number and name (manual cut/paste). Then whenever I run a report that requires the epic name, I add a column to the new report and do a VLookup from that master list of all epic names. Crude, but it works.
Ah gotcha! Thank you very much Ahmad!!
I think I'm going to go with another solution, and going to try to categorize with labels instead of epics, since what I want is not supported.
I didn't end up reaching out the Atlassian Experts. But if you believe it's something I should, then I can definitely do that. In the mean time, you can mark this question as resolved.
You are most welcome! That is a good workaround to tackle this concern that we have for now, at least until JRACLOUD-66843 gets looked into. I would say that the Atlassian Experts is an option that you can consider if this is a hard requirement that you need to implement on your system. Unless the label workaround is sufficient for you, that should do the trick for now.
Thanks again, Angela. Have a great week ahead!
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events