Epic name not exporting to csv

Angela Deng August 20, 2018

I've been trying to export a csv file with selected columns from the Advanced search section. 

However, the files being exported aren't displaying the Epic names correctly? 

So I've attached 2 images. Image 1 is an example of how 2 issues under 2 different types of Epics (which we use to categorize larger projects that has multiple tasks/ stories), the Sales Operations Requests and Finance Requests. However, as you an see in image 2, it doesn't export the Epic name when it's in a csv? 

My idea csv is showing the Epic names under the Epic names column, with all the tasks / stories next to it. 

Image 1

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.19.36 PM.png

Image 2Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.20.34 PM.png

11 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2018

Hi there, Angela.

While there are a couple of questions being asked around this topic (such as How to export "Epic Name" field?), I can confirm on the latest version of JIRA 7.11.2, I was able to export the Epic Name according to the screen shot below:

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 11.09.42.png

Can you please confirm the version that you are running on before we troubleshoot the issue further?

Angela Deng August 21, 2018

Hi Ahmad, 

Thanks for your response. I believe I have the cloud version: Jira 6264ea8c
Copyright © 2002 - 2018 Atlassian Corporation Pty Ltd. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

As for the Epic name, if you reference the 2nd image I uploaded, I have already included the Epic name (under the Custom Field (Epic Name) column G). My issue is that Epic name field is not showing all of the Epics. 

For example: how the projects currently run: 

Project name (Epic)

--> Story name 1 (Story) 

--> Story name 2 (Story) 

--> Task name 1 (Task) 

--> Task name 2 (Task) 

--> Task name 3 (Task) 

What I want is to export all of those stories and tasks with the Epic name column, showing it under that Epic name. 

For example, this is my ideal export: 

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.07.02 AM.png

Let me know if that makes sense. The issue is I'm not getting all of the Custom Field (Epic Name)s. 

Like HP likes this
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2018

Hi there, Angela.

Thank you for the clarification from your end. I had this tested on my JIRA Cloud instance and verified that I am seeing similar behavior on my end. For example:

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 08.34.14.png

As we can see here, the Epic Name for issue type Story and Task is absent from the export. This is directly reflecting the result that I am getting from the Issue Navigator itself here:

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 08.36.11.png

After doing a little bit of extra research, I understand that the Epic Name field refers to the name of the Epic issue type itself and the way it is linked to other issue types (Story and Task) is via Epic Link. I understand your point of having the Epic Name listed under these issue types nevertheless. However, I think it is important for us to understand the difference between these 2 fields as mentioned in the How do I get Epic Name field to show on screen? question that was asked before.

It relates to the Learn how to use Epics in Jira Software page where it is mentioned:

• Epic name - A short identifier for your epic. This will be used as a label on issues that belong to this epic.

So, we can see that the Epic Name field is exclusive only to the Epic issue type, which explains why we are seeing it being exported as Epic Link for other issue types instead.

I hope the explanation makes sense to you. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Angela Deng August 21, 2018

Aww, so does this mean there is no way of me having that display? If I wanted to have it exported the way I wanted, is there a way I can adjust my tasks in JIRA in order to display like that? 

Thank you so much for your help. 

Angela Deng August 23, 2018

Hi Ahmad, 

Were you able to look at the follow up question I had for you on Tuesday? 

Thanks!

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2018

Hi, Angela.

Pardon me for the delayed response. A little bit busy on my end for the last couple of days. Due to the way the field was built, I was unable to meddle my way through to make the Epic Link display as the name itself rather than the issue key in the CSV export. 

I dug through the public issue tracker and came across the following ticket that is reporting the behavior we are seeing here:

I encourage you to visit the suggestion page linked above and click the Vote and Watch links near the top right to show support for the feature. By doing this, it will ensure you are proactively informed of progress and updates going forward.

Your feedback is also appreciated. You can do this by leaving a comment on the ticket as this helps us prioritize & understand the use case of the feature request.

Meanwhile, you might consider reaching out to the Atlassian Experts as an alternative to see if they are able to make this work. Let me know how that goes for you if you decide to do that.

HP August 29, 2022

The above referenced ticket suggest to use Print option as a work around, however, when you do that you do get the Epic Name correctly translated from Epic Link, however, you then lose the Issue Type column, which comes by default in the View in Search export to CSV feature. 

You can have one but not the other. :lol

1 vote
Melissa November 16, 2022

This is insane!!!! 

It exports in "Better Excel" - Does anyone know what kind of magic they are using? 

I'm trying to get the Epic Name in an excel worksheet via Power Query

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 17, 2022

Unfortunately, the "secret" can't be revealed :)

If it's any consolation, we published a summary blog on how to export all issues from an epic to Excel, create Jira epic Excel reports, and more. It's not magic, but almost!

Like Aron Gombas _Midori_ likes this
1 vote
Robert Stabile March 17, 2021

This would certainly be an excellent feature added to Jira.  For the time being, I created an Excel file with all my epics by number and name (manual cut/paste).  Then whenever I run a report that requires the epic name, I add a column to the new report and do a VLookup from that master list of all epic names.  Crude, but it works.

1 vote
noe.carmichael December 4, 2019

Do we know when https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-66843 is going to be resolved? It's a big hassle to have to manually look up EPIC keys to find the names when doing reports, etc. 

1 vote
Uday Joshi August 3, 2019

Not having Epic names displayed in CSV extracts is a pain. Kindly address it at the earliest.

Have voted and put my comments in 66843 ticket as well. Thanks

Angela Deng August 5, 2019

Can you send over the ticket link? I'll happily vote on it :) 

Uday Joshi August 6, 2019

It's mentioned in one of the replies above from Ahmad Daniel.

1 vote
Angela Deng August 24, 2018

Ah gotcha! Thank you very much Ahmad!! 

I think I'm going to go with another solution, and going to try to categorize with labels instead of epics, since what I want is not supported. 

I didn't end up reaching out the Atlassian Experts. But if you believe it's something I should, then I can definitely do that. In the mean time, you can mark this question as resolved. 

Thank you!! 

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
August 26, 2018

Hi, Angela.

You are most welcome! That is a good workaround to tackle this concern that we have for now, at least until JRACLOUD-66843 gets looked into. I would say that the Atlassian Experts is an option that you can consider if this is a hard requirement that you need to implement on your system. Unless the label workaround is sufficient for you, that should do the trick for now.

Thanks again, Angela. Have a great week ahead!

1 vote
Angela Deng August 23, 2018

Pending

0 votes
Laurie Shimer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 1, 2024

I  always click the button on my dashboard "filtered issues" and the epic link displays the EPIC issuekey. But there is an Icon to the right of that called "export filtered issues to excel". The Epic name will display properly. This does not help you if you are doing a vanilla query but there is a way to get what you want if you have filters on a dashboard.

0 votes
Uday Joshi September 8, 2020

Visiting again for almost 1 year! I can't believe it is still pending! :( It's a pain. And I don't think it is a major task to populate Epic Name also along with Epic Link ID! Not sure why it is not getting addressed. :( 

Gabriele Tavan December 15, 2020

+1 for this! There's a lot of people with the same problem.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Guillermo Zepeda May 22, 2019

Pending as well. It would be useful to have a "Parent" field to export the issues since reporting from Jira is so limited.

Peigi MacKillop July 16, 2020

+ 1 for this!

Like Melissa likes this
0 votes
Dwight Pfundstein April 25, 2019

I just reported this same bug a few minutes ago, so that 8 months and waiting....

Suggest an answer