How to export "Epic Name" field?

Orit Nachshon February 5, 2018

Is there a solution for the epic name export field when exporting to excel?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

It's an open issue tracked here.  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-14746

Please see the comments, some people have suggested "Better excel plugin" . Otherwise you can make sure that Epic Name and Summary are same for the epic that way you won't miss the epic name field in the export.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

I am using JIRA 7.4.3 server version and it's working fine for me. In the CSV export of current fields I do see Epic name being exported. 

Orit Nachshon February 6, 2018

DO you see it when exporting the stories? 

Of course it works fine for Epics export, but not for Stories.

Like Steve V. likes this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

For stories, Epic link is exported as "Issue key" of the linked epic in my JIRA server version instead of epic name which is displayed on the stories when it's linked to epic  Is this the issue which you are talking about?

Yes, this is the problem I raised.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

This is how it is implemented, if you want epic name to be exported instead of issue Key of the epic in the CSV export then I guess you would need to raise a ticket in JIRA

https://jira.atlassian.com/issues/?jql=

For JIRA sever project.

Like Raphi Levine likes this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

Found an open issue - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-63305

May be you can vote , add a comment and hopefully they make the summary of the issue more descriptive. 

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

Please upvote/accept the answer if your satisfied with the response.  Thanks!

Paolo Franco Solinas May 1, 2020

Scroll down to the bottom of this thread and see my comment to visualize this in MS Excel export

10 votes
Paolo Franco Solinas May 1, 2020

i recently started using the Get Jira Data Excel add into import data from Jira. I have the Jira Cloud version. For having the name of the Epic on report i included the Epic Link.Name field.

Please upvote/accept the answer if you're satisfied with the response. Thanks!

Epic Link.name.jpg

Eric Strugatsky
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 1, 2020

Thanks!!!

Gerta Mone
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 3, 2020

Thanks! Very helpful! 

Robert S
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 4, 2020

Looks good.  Asking my IT department to download/install it (I am restricted).

Tim Cammann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 8, 2020

Works great. Thanks!

Deleted user November 25, 2020

I tried searching the marketplace for apps and I couldn't find a plugin by the name of " Get Jira Data" or " Get Jira Data Excel".

Can you post a link to the exact plugin/app that you're using, @Paolo Franco Solinas ?

Barry Duncan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 7, 2020

Marcelo, you need to download the excel plugin for Jira outside of Jira.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221301/jira-cloud-for-excel-official

That's it there.

Stefanie Lang May 5, 2021

Hi @Paolo Franco Solinas , how did you manage to get the Epic Link Name into the field list for the Jira Query add-in?  We only have epic name and epic link. 

Thanks so much in advance,

Steff

Like # people like this
Matthew.Leach
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 1, 2021

Same as Stefanie - that field does not show up in my list (using Cloud). 

Like # people like this
Mike Jones
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 9, 2022

This is what I was looking for!  Thanks!

Yifei Wu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 28, 2022

Thanks!

Mr. Gray
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 19, 2022

This does not work. The linked issues.linkName populates incorrect information and a lot of cells are empty.

Mateusz Przybyłek November 9, 2022

It is also in Cloud version. Just expand Epic link field

image.png

Like Vaishali likes this
Vaishali December 1, 2023

Thank you, Mateusz, this worked.

4 votes
Smita February 7, 2019

Save the result as HTML and Open it in an Excel workbook : that helps.

You can see all your Epic Names

Josh Sommers February 12, 2019

That is not an option on the cloud version of JIRA.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Apryl Harris September 20, 2022

Potential workaround to export Epic Name (Jira Cloud)

One could use Plans (i.e. Advanced Roadmaps) and share as CSV. This will export with the Epic Name in a column ='Parent'. Seemed to work for me.

Note: Be sure to adjust the exclusion days in the configuration if you need to. This changes the results of the plan based on the number of days after the issue is done.

0 votes
Tomasz Kustrzynski February 6, 2018

My instance is on server, not cloud... thanks!

Deleted user November 25, 2020

Really?  a few hundred to a few thousand $/year just to be able to export properly?

This is ridiculous.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events