Epic Link from Java API

sahan kanuwana September 6, 2017

Hi Everyone,

Can some one please share the code that works for creating Epic Link programatically. I have tried so many options and nothing works. Doesn't give any error, how ever my Epic link is not showing on the screen even though I have configured the Epic Link screen configs correctly. Please help on this!

2 answers

0 votes
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2017

Possible reason for why epic link is not showing. 

To set epic links, you need edit issue permission in both the epic and the issue you are linking it to. 
So make sure you have the permissions for Epic Link. 
If you are in CCB role you would automatically have that permissions. 

sahan kanuwana September 6, 2017

I checked the permission. The user I am using is admin user and has all required privileges. My case is, I am trying to create the issue and epic link of that programatically. After creating the issue, I can edit the issue and assign Epic Link without any issue. But the problem is, Epic Link is not set when I do it through my program. Same user. I think permission is all set.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2017

Being an admin user has nothing to do with project level user permissions. Admin permissions are just for other administrative stuff.

Make sure the user you are using is added in the project role CCB.

And the user should be CCB in all epic's project and the target issue's project as well.
Kindly also share the code that you're doing this with?

sahan kanuwana September 10, 2017

Great Thanks Tayyab,

I can create the epic link from JIRA UI without any issue for the same user. So I assmue same thing should be able to do using my program. Isn't it?

String custFieldValue = "PT-01" //This is my Epic Key
CustomFieldManager cfManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();
CustomField jiraCustomField = cfMgr.getCustomFieldObjectByName(Constants.EPIC_LINK);
MutableIssue epicIssueObject = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager().getIssueObject(custFieldValue);

if(epicIssueObject != null) {
newJiraIssue.setCustomFieldValue(jiraCustomField, custFieldValue);
} else {
log.info("Epic Link " + custFieldValue + " is not available.");
}

Suggest an answer