End date edit of closed sprint

Layla R
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 30, 2018

I accidentally re-opened the incorrect sprint and now the complete date is wrong.  Can I change the end date of a completed sprint?

3 answers

1 vote
Per Lundevall
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 31, 2022

2018... we are migrating to Azure DevOps now.

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2018

Hello Layla, 

You can try one of the two options below:

1 - Go to your sprint report, find the sprint you wish to edit via the drop-down menu. Once you have that selected there's a more options/kabob menu icon (3 horizontal dots) which will allow you to reopen that sprint. At this point, you can then visit your backlog and change the dates of the sprint and then re-close. 

Your current sprint (if you have one active), will remain unharmed, unedited and can continue to feature in active sprint view, upon the close of retro-active sprint.

2 - You can change the end date directly via database:

table -  AO_60DB71_SPRINT

Column - COMPLETE_DATE

P.S: For the database update, I recommend you to perform it first in a test environment and then perform a backup before implement it on Prod

Rick Chabot
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 10, 2018

This will not work as the "complete sprint" button will make the completed date the date you complete it (today for example), and not the date it actually completed on (you do not get an option to choose a completed date). As a cloud customer, it is apparent that we cannot change this completed date, and this is hugely inconvenient as there are several instance where someone has not completed an acceptance in a story, and weeks have gone by and now the sprint velocity is hosed when the work was actually done and is now reported way off. Hope this is addressed in a feature update. 

Like # people like this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2018

Hello @Rick Chabot,

Please, refer that the workaround provided before was for the Server Platform and not Cloud.

For the Cloud platform, you're correct to say that we don't have a way to update the completion date since we don't have database access in Cloud. In fact, the completionDate of the sprints are not editable even using REST API (Refer to this link).

That's why we created the following feature request:

Add ability to change sprint completion date (agile board)

Please, feel free to vote and watch this suggestion to be aware of any new updates.

Like # people like this
Rick Chabot
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 10, 2018

Thanks for the reply Petterson, I have voted on the issue. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 10, 2018

You are welcome, Rick.

Have a great day!

Per Lundevall April 25, 2022

Voted for this feature.

Laurent Dubois
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 23, 2022

Years this has been an issue... Atlassian still has not fixed this. 
I am seriously wondering if atlassian still have any idea on how software project are managed or if they simply dont give a damn about it. 

Seriously sick and tired of their slow, mediocre and overpriced products.

Like # people like this
Axel Erisson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 25, 2022

Is there a way to fix this yet? I have migrated years worth of work from another application to Jira, now it looks as if all of our sprints were completed yesterday since I don't have the option to select an end date when closing a sprint! This makes loads of functionality, such as road mapping, reports etc. completely useless :( 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Eduardo Pinheiro December 6, 2023

Is 2023, I'm migrating from Asana to Jira Cloud and currently is not possible to change the sprint end date to before of today. 

Suggest an answer