Enable JIRA slack integration for Slack limited users

Emilija Pijevcevic September 23, 2019

Hi all! We need to have limited slack users using JIRA integration in Slack. When they try to use it, they are getting the message that they are not authorized to install Jira Cloud on Ergeon. Does anyone know what could I do besides transitioning them to full members on Slack?

1 answer

1 vote
Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2019

Hey Emilija,

By "limited" slack users do you mean single channel / multi channel guests? If so, it is not possible to enable guest users to use the Jira for Cloud app, as the authentication mechanism requires a user to give access on both the Slack side and the Jira side. Guest users can't install Slack apps as far as I know, so this would be a limitation of Slack. 

In order for them to use the integration, I'm afraid you'll need them to be full users of the Slack workspace.

I'm interested to learn more about your particular use case. If you email me at trevor.thompson@atlassian.com I'd love to ask a few more questions about your scenario :) 

Thanks!
Trevor Thompsons
Product Manager, Product Integrations

Jamie Saunders May 21, 2020

I'm seeing this same issue where a multi-channel Slack guest cannot authorise the Jira Server app. Is there a solution to this other than promoting the user to a full member of the workspace? 

Sam
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 6, 2020

I 3rd this issue. We also would like multi channel guests to use the slack app. Would be a big help if this was allowed. 

Suggest an answer