Email updates to external customer (not agent)

Clare Kelleher November 24, 2015

Hi,

Hopefully not a dumb question, but I am having issues with email notifications re ticket creation/update going to non-agents?

I have set up an internal agent and a customer. Updates seem to go to the agent where needed, but do send to the Customer. Is there something I need to configure? Any pointers?

Also, related to this testing, is there anyway to add further fields to the customer portal to allow them to select priority, category etc, or is this limited to the Service Request type and summary incident details?

Thanks in advance

Clare

Steven,

Sorry, let me try and articulate this better.

When an external customer raises an Incident via the support portal, they do not receive a notification email, despite having an associated customer email address.  However, when an Agent raises an incident via the Customer Portal, it does trigger an email to the agent, and they also get emailed any subsequent updates to the ticket. Do I need to configure something to trigger emails to the customer? I didn't seem to need to do this for Agent.

Regarding the configuration of fields for use by the customer, where do I find this? I have looked at Portal settings within the service desk Project, but the configuration of what the external customer sees via the Portal seems limited.

Thanks for your assistance. Clare

2 answers

0 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2015

Hi Clare, 

Two settings impact how notifications work for a service desk project:

1. The *system level Notifications* setting controls the customer notifications for all service desk projects. This setting is enabled by default and can be disabled by going to Cog icon > Applications > JIRA Service Desk Configuration.
  2. The *project level JIRA notification scheme* controls the agent notifications for a service desk project.
  • If the Notifications setting for JIRA Service Desk is *enabled*, agents will receive notifications as part of the JIRA notification scheme. Customers will receive service desk notifications for all issues they're involved with.
  • If the Notifications setting for JIRA Service Desk is *disabled*, agents will continue to receive notifications as part of the JIRA notification scheme; however, customers will only receive notifications if they are working on an issue in a public project.

If you're using System Level Notification and the problem is still happening, please make sure to raise a support ticket with us (support.atlassian.com) so we can further troubleshoot this. On the other hand, if you're using the Project Level notification, make sure that you've added the reporter to be notified as well.

Hope this helps. smile

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2015

Sorry, I can't get past the language here. What is the issue? You said "updates seem to go to the agent..." AND "but do send to the customer." Further, you can configure most fields for use by the customer. This is performed under the Configuration of a Service Desk.

Suggest an answer