Email notifications not being sent/received when comments added

Jack Brickey Community Champion Oct 26, 2016

I'm hoping the community has some thoughts on this. The issue is escalating w/ some customers because the agents are not being notified when customers are commenting back answering our questions.

First let me state that I'm pretty sure that this was previously working and today I plan to look back thru emails to prove/dispel this claim.

Problem: Comments added do not result in notifications according to how Notifications are configured.

What I have checked:

1. I have a used Notification Helper which indicates that notifications should be sent.
  2. I have looked over the notification scheme and everything looks correct
  3. I have compared to my JSW projects, which work correctly, and things look similar.
  4. I have done a number of tests and observed the following:
    1. Customers do receive and email notification for any public comments
    2. Assignee & Watchers DO NOT receive an email notification when a comment is added even though Notification Helper states they should

Any troubleshooting thoughts greatly appreciated!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Jack Brickey Community Champion Nov 09, 2016

So I finally have the answer to the cause of my notification woes. It took 2+ weeks of working w/ Atlassian support before it was eventually escalated where relatively short work was made of the issue.

The problem was cause because I had my agents listed in a customer organization. My use case for JSD currently is for two projects both internal (IT Helpdesk and Facilities Helpdesk). I wanted my agents to be customers for these helpdesk projects. Example: a Facilities agent would be a customer of IT and vice versa. However, in so doing, the agents became 'JSD customers' resulting in the JSD notification scheme superseding JIRA SW Notification schemes. Not sure that is the right intended behavior but certainly is the resulting behavior. 

After removing all agents from the organization it appears that notifications are once again working.

Hope this helps others in the future.

Hi,

Please note that JSD notifies customers via its own notification system, while the Notification Scheme (and Helper) controls notifications for JIRA users (agents, collaborators).

JSD Notifications may be turned on/off, in Administration / Applicaitons / Service Desk / Configuration.

Is JSD notification enabled?

Concerning assignee and watchers, isn't possible that you tested watchers with your account and your profile has "My changes: do not notify me"?

Tibor

Tibor,

thanks for your quick response! The only options I see in JSD Configuration for notifications is associated with whether 'customers should receive JIRA notifications'. I have "No, only send JIRA Service Desk notifications to customers (recommended)" checked. However, I don't think this is aligned w/ my scenario. My issue is not that customers are not receiving email notifications but that agents and watchers are not receiving them. 

BTW, the other option was "Yes, send customers both JSD and JIRA notifications".

Regarding the last comment, I'm going to look at this more carefully. I have been working with one of my agents for this very reason as it has bitten me before. Regardless, I know for sure, in a real-world scenario that my customers are commenting back on tickets and the assignee/watcher do not receive notifications.

I have ruled out that my observations are somehow related to me making the comments and not receiving notifications. Notifications are not being sent to assignee or any watchers when a comment is added. the only users that are receiving notifications are Customers when we post a public comment. I also verified that this used to work a couple of weeks back. I have a ticket open w/ Atlassian.

0 votes
Jack Brickey Community Champion Nov 02, 2016

I wanted to keep this issue up-to-date. I have been working w/ Atlassian for 1+ weeks now on this. I have finally determined that the issue is only associated w/ issue created via the Portal & Email. If the issue is created from within JSD itself then the notifications work. Smoking gun...now for the root cause?

Were you able to resolve this? It appears we are experiencing the same issue. 

Jack Brickey Community Champion Jan 17, 2018

@Greg Mora, the answer to my issue is captured here and signified by the green checkmark. If that is not your issue I recommend posting a new question though there are a ton of "notification issue" threads out there and I go as far to say that is likely the #1 asked topic. So, peruse the Community to possible answers.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,876 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot