Email located in Summary of ticket

Robert Munoz July 15, 2021

We would like to set up an auto-response to an email/ticket in which the response email is located in the email Subject header or in the case of Jira the Summary field. Can the email be stripped from the Summary and used as a response email in automation? The other option is to use the reply-to email field which contains the correct email that we want to setup with auto-response but I understand that JSM does not support that field.

Sincerely,

Robert

1 answer

2 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2021

Hello @Robert Munoz,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Testing on my local site and with the great help of my colleague, we were able to create an automation rule that will get the email address from the summary laugh

In this case, it’s necessary to use Regex and create a variable that will store the email address added to the summary so then, it can be added as the “To” on the Send email action.

Go to the automation page and create a rule as it follows: 

When: Issue created

Then: Create variable

Add a name for the variable, here we are using “email” and the smart value will be: 

{{issue.summary.match("([a-z0-9!#$%&'*+/=?^_`{|}~-]+(?:\.[a-z0-9!#$%&'*+/=?^_`{|}~-]+)*@(?:[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?\.)+[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?)")}}

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 17.14.41.png

Then, add another action that will be “Send email” and on “To” add the variable that you previously created.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 17.15.12.png

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Angélica

Robert Munoz July 19, 2021

Hi Angélica,

I just created an automation rule using your email smart value regex and wow! That seems to do the trick! Thank you and your colleague very much! 

Sincerely,

Robert Munoz

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Ste404
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2022

@Angélica Luz  would this work with a custom field or a lookupObjects smartvalue.

I tried but couldn't come up with something that worked.

I just end up with 
Could not send email, the 'To' address field is empty. If you have referenced a field it may be empty.
all the time.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events