Email Requests in Service Desk not working for a specific reporter

Philippe Laurin February 21, 2018

I have setup a service desk to accept email requests. It is working for people who already had proper rights to the project. Email requests are creating tickets as expected.

The goal is to have a system from a customer send emails that will create/update tickets in our jira project. I can't get it to work for the email address used by the customer's system (gazmet@service-now.com). Here's what I tried so far:

1) Have customer system send email request. Test negative

2) Have customer person forward email request from his work mailbox. Test positive (ticket created).  <--- This indicates that our jira can actually receive requests from this domain, and the format of the email generated by the customer system is not problematic. The email address for this person was already in our known customer list in jira

3) Add gazmet@service-now.com to the list of known customers email addresses for the Service Desk. Test negative.

4) Create a user for gazmet@service-now.com and give rights to this user. Test negative.

5) Allow customers to create their own user account. Test negative.

6) Allow customers to send requests without logging in. Test negative.

For steps 3 to 6, a test was made by having the customer system generate an email request to our jira. 

7) Email from my personal email (=anonymous request). Test positive (ticket created) <-- This shows that requests from unknown addresses are accepted

At this point I don't understand why requests sent from the customer's system (from gazmet@service-now.com) are not creating tickets in our jira. Anyone has suggestions for things to try?

2 answers

0 votes
Henri Virtanen! July 11, 2018

We have this same problem. One of our customers emails (which are sent from ServiceNow and can be found from inbox of our ingoming mail service.) doesn't create tickets to JiraSD, because Jira filters those emails first as bulk messages and after removing the bulk mail filter, Jira filters those messages as a auto-reply mails. We have now removed those filters (like the official workaround to this is https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1924) to get those emails to tickets, but we need to find a better solution to this, because we can't run forever without those filters.

While waiting for that option to whitelist a customer domain to mail filters, is there a way to handle this situation? Either:

- To tell our customer to modify their settings for the outgoing emails

or

- Somehow configure JiraSD to allow those emails to be read as a tickets.

Scancam Support October 21, 2018

Hi Henri,

I've been having the same issues, and we're considering transitioning to the cloud system and I'm worried that I won't be able to disable those filters. So a bit of digging has led me here: https://docs.servicenow.com/bundle/london-servicenow-platform/page/administer/reference-pages/reference/r_AdditionalProperties.html 

Appears to be several fields related to outgoing headers marked as spam (Ctrl+F Headers, like all 6 Results are about spam on outgoing). This may solve both our problems. It's going to take some time getting this integrated with our client though, so won't know results for some time to come!

0 votes
Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2018

Philippe,

I suppose you do all of these settings on project level?

What i think you need to do (and how we do it) is create an map a mailbox to your jira (in general settings).

Then you can set a rule that when a new mail is send to that mailbox, it creates a new ticket in the queue: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-802592933.html

Jira SD info: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/receiving-requests-by-email-747602718.html

Kind regards,

Laurens

Philippe Laurin February 22, 2018

Hi Laurens,

I just checked and the setting to allow customers to create to send requests without logging in is set both at Global and Project levels. 

We have 1 jira project for every client (approx 15 projects active in jira). We plan on using 1 different email address for each client (ex: support_clientXYZ@mycompany.com). So the receiving email address was setup at Project level, I don't think it could work at Global level because jira wouldn't know which project to create the issue in, unless there's something I'm missing. 

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2018

Philippe,

Am i correct that mailing from personal mail works, and only customer email is not working to the project email address?

Important then:

-is your personal mail address linked to a customer user?

-is your customer mail address linked to a customer user?

Am i correct that mailing from personal mail works, and only customer email is not working to the project email address? 

Mailing from my personal mail works. Customer email works when employee send the email (see #2 from my tests). When their system sends the email it doesn't work. 

-is your personal mail address linked to a customer user?

No. My personal mail was never added to a customer user, it was completely unknown to our jira database. 

-is your customer mail address linked to a customer user?

The address used by the customer system (gazmet@service-now.com) was added to the list of customers (see #3). After that I also tested by creating a jira user linked to this address (see #4).  

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2018

Philippe,

Do you receive the email from the customer system in the inbox linked to the project?

Maybe its not a jira issue but a mailing issue, maybe it is not received or marked as spam or something?

Yes we do receive emails from the customer system, I can see them from a web interface. Those emails were being forwarded to my work mail so that I can validate what is coming in. We disabled the forward in case it was causing the issue, but it didn't make any difference. 

Philippe Laurin February 28, 2018

I just ran a new test with a throwaway email address and the jira ticket was created successfully. At this point I'm starting to wonder if jira is blocking requests from certain domains (ex: service-now.com). Is there a way to verify this? 

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2018

if it is a cloud instance you have, i would try to open a support call.

If it is server, i would find it very odd that it is blocked

Philippe Laurin March 14, 2018

After opening a support ticket to Atlassian, it turns out that the problem is in the header of the emails from ServiceNow.com containing words that are considered as junk mail by the jira server.  

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2018

Philippe,

Thanks for sharing!

Glad to hear it is resolved.

Tristan July 17, 2018

Hi Phillippe, I think we have this same problem. Was Atlassian able to whitelist the servicenow emails?

Thanks in advance

Tristan

Suggest an answer