Edited comment history

Evcgeniy June 10, 2019

Hello!

Please tell where can I find a edited comment history?

I have used schema(https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/attachments/jira-7-9-2-database-schema.pdf).

What table contain this infromation?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2019

Comments do not have a history.  If you edit a comment, the old one is destroyed, you can't know what it was in Jira.

There is an open improvement issue logged with Atlassian to provide a comment history, but generally, I just turn off "edit comment" permission on systems where the history matters.

Seb November 20, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Would you happen to have a link to the issue? Is it possible to vote on it?

Like Joe Pitt likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2023

@Seb - hi Seb (and for anyone else who's curious):

0 votes
Mansi Mehta May 10, 2022

Hi Kindly introduce this feature of tracking of comment history also...

it will be very helpful when it comes to tracking of developers' opinions.

0 votes
Alis-Hathway Ward (DO NOT USE) October 15, 2020

I found this thread because today, I see a comment that I definitely deleted showing up in the history and was wondering if this was toggle-able, since they never used to do this (and should not. a comment is deleted for a reason). So that's fun. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2020

I'd argue that it is essential to keep it in the history - this is an issue tracker, you want to know what people have done with it.

Like # people like this
Stacie Dozier May 18, 2021

Comments were tracked sometime between 2019 and about three weeks ago to where a deleted comment still displayed and edited comments showed the before and after comments.  Not any more.  This was essential in our business as approvals between dev and the client were managed, maintained in JIRA as the document of record.  Now we have lost the history. :-(  Please bring comment tracking retention back.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2019

If you mean the comments from before they were edited, they aren't saved. Just like when you delete issues you can't recover them.  In the related content someone has a plugin that saves them.  I don't allow deleting issues or comments. They are historical data that may have been acted upon and you would want to know what that data is. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Comment-edits-are-not-shown-in-History/qaq-p/129193 

Since you're new:

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

Chris Smith-Hill May 28, 2020

Seems like sub-optimal behavior. Editing is not the same as Deleting. I am having issues today because a QA is after the fact editing their test case comments to cover cases that weren't actually covered. 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2020

It is not great.  There is a request logged to cover maintaining a history of comments, but at present, most Jira admins simply remove the permission to edit comments as well as the delete permission.

Like Corie Mills likes this
Deleted user June 10, 2020

@Chris Smith-Hill that does not sound like an ideal scenario at all. It would almost be worth removing those repeat-offenders' abilities to edit comments, so that they aren't messing with that data in post. I know I would be concerned if my QA were editing comments after the fact to hide that they didn't test something in the proper amount of time.

Suggest an answer