Comment edits are not shown in History

Changes from all fields are displayed in a "Original Value -> New Value" table, but there seems to be no way to get the old value of an edited comment!

Is this intentional, or a bug?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jun 03, 2012

Hi Thomas,

there's an old issue for that: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-12400

Vote for it and hope, someday it will come true ;-)

Best regards

Thomas

Thanks, I voted for it - but my hopes are rather low...

This widget could not be displayed.

If you are interested I have created a Comment History plugin for JIRA that is now available on the marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.redmoon.jira.commenthistory.commenthistory

Does this plugin have a REST API or any kind of API for programmatic acces ?

Thanks.

Hi Catalin

What functionality are you wanting from the rest API? At the moment it has a rest api that I use for getting all history for an Issue but I can add to that if you let me know what you want.

Thanks

Paul, thanks for the info.

JIRA doesn't save the comments history in the changelog. That is mainly my problem. If I check the Changelog I need to get the timestamp and look in the comments to get the corresponding comment (if there is one).

Not a big deal for me. It can be done with a bit work, but I was curious about the functionality of your plugin.

Thanks.

The plugin will allow you to see all of the history for a comment by clicking on the history icon to the right of the comment. This is useful if you know the comment that you want to see the history for.

The Comment History tab will show all comments and there history on the screen at the same time. This could suit you if you find a comment in the change log. Just copy the comment and do a browser based search in the comment history tab. You will see the comment that was changed, the current comment and all of its history.

The Comment History tab is also the only place that you can view deleted comments (and their history).

I hope this helps

Thanks

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

128 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you