EXTERNAL USER ACCESS

Jean Pyronneau February 20, 2018

I need to create a group to apply to users so they only have access to one project in JIRA. 

I do not want them to have visibility of any of the other projects. 

How do I go about doing this?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Cooke Old Street Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 17, 2022

For anyone that doesn't want to play with permission schemes, or wants to give granular access specifically to one issue, filter, or board, there's External share for Jira guest access

External Share board share screenshot.png

1 vote
Jean Pyronneau February 21, 2018

I created a test account and noticed that my test account has visibility of all other projects in JIRA.  I created an EXTERNAL USER ACCESS group and want for them to only see one group. Very limited access. I did not see that JIRA has the functionality to configure users to have specific scopes of access.

louisdj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2018

Please make sure you have 2 groups:

• internal users
  • external users

Now make sure internal users have access to all projects (and no other groups like all-users, jira-users, ...). Now give only access rights to the external users to the project they can see.

Please read the documentation on permission schemes, as well some guidelines and best practices.

Jean Pyronneau November 5, 2018

Question: Can you hide the activity made by the internal users from the external users that are on the same project?

Like jbunevith likes this
0 votes
louisdj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2018

Hi

In the User Management of Jira (click on the gear symbol > User management), you can find groups in the left side bar.

Create a group with the name you want, add the users to that group. 

Now give this group only rights to the project they should have access to...

Ofcourse, you have to make sure that all other users are in another group and other acces should be given to that group, and not all Jira users...

For example, we have an employees group, where all our employees are in, and with the default permission scheme, they have access to all projects. 

We create a Customer-xyz group for client access, and give that group manual access to the project of that customer.

Juhi Negi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 20, 2018

Hi Louis, 

Thanks for your response as I have the same question. How exactly do you "give that group manual access to the project of that customer".

I haven't been able to find the right steps to this and when i remove users from our default employee group they lose all their access even though I've added them to a separate group.

Thanks,

Juhi

louisdj
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2018

Hi Juhi, you should make sure they are member of the group jira-users, without that group they do not have the access rights for Jira. 

You can also give these rights to other groups, but I would recommend to keep using the jira-users if you are not experienced with user management in Jira.

Suggest an answer