EMAIL TEMPLATE SUBJECT VM

Abdelhalim ELKHATTABI March 26, 2018

Hello !

I have the some case as below : 

In the older version of JIRA.. < 4.4 when I recived email notification from JIRA it was having a subject name depending on the action that was taken.. e.g when closing it was:

JIRA (Closed): XYZ-123 Name of the ticket

Since JIRA 4.4 the email template changed and I do not see action name anymore (action is included in the email).. It just say

JIRA (XYZ-123) Name of the ticket

Is there any EASY/OOTB way to customize this and bring back the old way of naming the subject?

Thank you for your help!

-Mirek

1 ) any news regarding this issue ?

2 ) Otherwise , Editing the Subject email Velocity templates in // $JIRA_INSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/subject // (eg. #disable_html_escaping()

($issue.key) $issue.summary $issue.action ) will resolve the problem ? 

3)  in project->customer notifications->email template -> subject we can use just  3 variables // issue.key, .summary, .portalname. //

No other fields such as issue.priority seem valid !! 

Is the subject line is restricted to key, summary and portalname only?

4) there is no Plugin that works the way asked for ?  

Thanks in advance 

Abdel

1 answer

0 votes
KellyW
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2018

Hi Mirek, Abdel,

In regard to the e-mail subject issue, you can get back to the older styled email headers by modifying the subject header templates:

• Navigate to <jira-install>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/subject
  • Create a backup of this directory.

The following is the comparison between then two:

PRE-JIRA 4.4+
$eventTypeName: ($issue.key) $issue.summary

POST JIRA 4.4+
($issue.key) $issue.summary

In the newer templates the "$eventTypeName:" was removed. If you want to restore the old subject lines, you can simply replace all the subject templates in the new installation from that of an older installation, or replace them with the jira-4.3-templates.zip.

The steps to do this are exactly as follows:

1. Shutdown JIRA.
  2. Backup all files in the <JIRA-install>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/subject directory.
  3. Overwrite all files in that directory with the ones contained in jira-4.3-templates.zip.
  4. Start JIRA.

Please make sure you perform the backup step as velocity template changes are typically not supported.

Regards,

Kelly

Abdelhalim ELKHATTABI March 27, 2018

Hello Kelly , 

Thank you very much your answer , but I am talking about Project Customer notifiactions in Jira service desk not Jira notifications. 

By the way I tested the solution commented above and it doesn't functions with what I want as expected ! 

Please check the screenshot (the availble variables ) in customer notifications , 

and screenshot 2 ( the email recevied even changing the sujbject directory ) . 

Regards , 

Abdel1.PNG2.PNG

Suggest an answer