Dual Status Names but the Same Status?

Robert Stoffers December 17, 2013

One of our admins recently created a new status whereby the a single status has two names. The names are Work in Progress and In Progress.

When you view status via the administrative portal the two statuses appear as individual status in their own right. However when you view a workflow for a project that is assigned to the two status they either have one or the other, not both. A good example is the default Jira project which we cannot edit, it is listed as having both status via the admin portal but only contains the In Progress status when you view the workflow.

I cannot work out how the admin achieved this and the online documentation doesn’t hint towards this even being possible. I have checked our translations thinking that may be the culprit, however all of our translations have both statuses.

Can someone tell me how I can have two statues that mean the same thing and appear to be the same but appear as two different status via the admin portal?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Stoffers December 18, 2013

By "administrative portal" I simply mean the Administration section within Jira however lack any better terminology to describe it. It’s the area where you go Cog -> menu option. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has come up with a name for it..

Looks like the answer was simpler than I thought, the administrator had renamed the Open status to Work in Progress. The clue was when viewing the Jira workflow, the status still had the ID of Open linked to the Work in Progress status.

The link between Work in Progress and In Progress may have been my hump-day brain making the work association between the two, a good night’s sleep and a fresh coffee later and the answer was practically staring me in the face.

Thanks for your help everyone :)

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2013

It might also be the case that your administrator used one of the i18n features described on the following page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Workflow+properties

• jira.i18n.submit
  • jira.i18n.title

And it has a translated value for English?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2013

First, we don't really know what you mean by "administrative portal", so you probably need to explain that for us to be able to help you properly.

But, I suspect what you've got is two workflows and two separate status. One workflow in one project uses the first status, and the second, although the workflow is similar, uses a different status (this might even be down to issue type, not just project). The thing to look at is the workflow schemes chosen in the project description. Check some actual issue data, do a search for those two status and see what issues come back and what the differences between them are.

Suggest an answer