Does JIRA run with Oracle Java 10?

Patrick Nelson May 8, 2018

I went looking for the answer to this and couldn't find anything that talked about the current version of JIRA 7.9.x so...

Does JIRA Server run on Linux with Oracle Java 10.0.1?

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jakub Lazinski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2018

On this topic, you might be interested in the latest update regarding plans for supporting OpenJDK 11 across all Atlassian Server & Data Center products -> https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-discussions/Java-11-and-OpenJDK-support-for-Atlassian-Server-amp-Data-Center/m-p/872998#M4575

Patrick Nelson August 22, 2018

@Jakub Lazinski This is good news for sure!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2018

In theory it's possible.  However Atlassian has not tested the current released versions of Jira against this version of Java yet.  Please see the Supported platforms documentation for Jira:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/supported-platforms-938846830.html

It explains that only Oracles Java 8 (also known as 1.8) is supported for Jira at this time.  It is possible that Jira will support this Java platform at some point in the future, but for the time being this platform is not supported. 

Patrick Nelson May 8, 2018

Thanks for the link.  I searched and kept getting 7.3...  Not sure why.  I guess I could install the Oracle 10.0.1 JDK and use alternatives to test it!  I just hate being behind so far in updates.

M Hoogenboom August 13, 2018

Hi Patrick, did you get Jira to work with JDK 10?

We have issues with running Confluence in JDK 10, due to incompatible JVM options such as UseGCLogFileRotation.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2018

Please stick to the supported JDK versions - using unsupported ones will give you problems for which you simply are not supported, and any call for help is going to get you a simple "run it on the right version, then see if you still have problems"

Patrick Nelson August 13, 2018

@M Hoogenboom No I never tried after that first time.  I've been holding back on Java 10.0.2 (the latest).  I'm hoping that this will be addressed soon.

M Hoogenboom August 14, 2018

thank you both for the reactions. I'll wait as well for Atlassian to support it.

Patrick Nelson August 14, 2018

As much as I love Atlassian products they are a little slow keeping up with current versions in the Linux space.  We run our own servers and I don't like getting too far behind on updates.

Suggest an answer