Does JIRA have the concept of an 'Everyone' or 'Authenticated Users' group?

We sync with Active Directory for our users and groups. Our organization does not have a group that contains everyone. I need to grant access to our Insight schema for everyone, and access is granted via groups. Our AD team is hesitant to add everyone (~12,000 people) to a group insisting they use the special 'Authenticated Users' group in such cases and I should, too, but it is not a real group.

Has anyone ever run in to this, or do you just create groups when you need groups? :)

1 answer

0 vote

It relies on it.  For each Jira application, you have to name at least one group that says "can log in".

I'm not sure what you mean by "it is not a real group" though.

I tend to avoid groups, access by role (inside Jira) is a far better way to manage users.

I got that from this: http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/understanding-authenticated-users-group, and I can't seem to pull that 'group' in to Jira.  It is used often in the Windows environment, and I think it is relegated to that.

In this case, we are applying permissions to the Riada Insight Jira app, and it requires groups as it is Jira-global and not tied to a project.  I agree, generally in Jira, we avoid groups, too.

I'll press the issue and get them to make the group.  That's one main reason AD is there for, after all!  :)

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,338 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot