Document versioning managment?

Dan McGowan February 4, 2014

Is there an add-on to help manage when a Jira ticket has many attachments?

It is common for our bigger and older tickets to have a dozen or more attachments, with most being updated and re-attached. But we dont want things deleted, we just want it cleaned up so the newest document is easy to find.

I searched around but found nothing like this. Its important that we dont have people deleting files, but I guess many other companies just deal with it, and its probably why there is not a large demand for an add-on like this.

Thanks,

Dan

1 answer

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2014

No, but I created JCLI-477 to cover this request for JIRA Command Line Interface as it would be similar to removeAttachmentVersions for the Confluence Command Line Interface. Vote for that if you need this type of capability. If there is enough interest, we will look into providing it.

Dan McGowan February 4, 2014

I don't believe it would be the same thing. But I am not a developer, so a lot of what's in JCLI-477 did not make much sense to me.

We do not want to remove documents. But when we add a new document, we want to mark it as a more recent version of another. The screen would likely have a link to see prior versions of the document, but for viewers it would only list or show the most recent.

This is a very common feature in other project or issue management tools we have used.

For us its fun to see doc_final.doc then doc_final_final.doc, and even doc_final_feb2014.doc because we go through so many revisions and re-writes our tickets become very messy.

I hope this clears things up, Thanks

Dan

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2014

I misinterpreted your term "cleanup". I was thinking of removing (deleting) attachment versions that have been replaced by newer versions. This would prevent clutter and storage use. However, you just mean visual cleanup. Sorry, can't help there.

Suggest an answer