Do you think Gantt charts are efficient or useful in a JIRA / Confluence environnement ?

Ludovic MOTTINI March 26, 2017

We use JIRA, Confluence, Portfolio, HipChat to enhance our AGILE processes. We don't know everything about Portfolio for now and are willing to learn. But do you think we would need a Gantt chart as well ?

2 answers

0 votes
Jakub Dobies March 26, 2017

Hi Ludovic,

Intuition would suggest that Gantt as a waterfall tool would not be useful around agile processes. I've seen enough times, however, where Gantt chart solved a plethora of issues simply because of the fact, that pure agile methods rarely take place. Especially if an organization is large and a number of projects is run and need to be overseen. The reality is that sooner or later due dates become a must, and Gantt chart is a perfect tool to picture them. Gantt is also very easy to understand, whether as a means of reporting or to simply keep all stakeholders and team members in the loop. The best use of Gantt chart in agile processes, however, is depicting an enterprise level of ongoing projects and never losing sight of the big picture.

You can go ahead and take a look at my article on this right here. You may also be interested in a comparison of Gantt chart plugins for JIRA Cloud.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions!

Bests,

Jakub Dobies

0 votes
Bree Davies
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2017

Hi Ludovic, 

Portfolio for JIRA uses as data-driven schedule to give you visibility over your team's progress (thanks to its integration with JIRA) and will also help you to plan out a realistic roadmap. These artifacts can definitely enhance an agile environment, based on the shared visibility and transparency of your plan, given anyone in your organisation can view the Portfolio plan. Or you could embed a report into a Confluence page so it can be easily found. A great place to start is one of our webinars.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Bree
Portfolio for JIRA  

Suggest an answer