Do custom field options reset to default for every project issue once they’re hidden?

Lance Wilson December 5, 2019

I’m doing cleanup as one of our company’s projects have used the wrong field configurations for their issues. I received a complaint from one of our project leads when changes were made to hide a custom field they were using.

In our test environment, I made copies of every configuration they have used and renamed it under their project’s name, enabling the custom field’s visibility as well. However, in doing so, I tried checking the values for those custom fields, and it looks like they’ve been set to their default option, which is “none.” I’m checking as well to see if this is true, but I wanted to seek confirmation from others who might know.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Damian Wodzinski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2019

Fields are hidden if they are empyt, if you've turned on their visibility they will show "none", but data stored in them already won't be changed. I think after you have changed the visibility, one project lead saw the "none" value and got confused.

Lance Wilson December 6, 2019

So what you’re saying is that the values remain unchanged when you un-hide the custom fields?

Damian Wodzinski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2019

Yes, the only question is: did they have any value while they have been hided?

Lance Wilson December 6, 2019

For this one team, it does have value. Still, it’s comforting nothing is lost. They are a QA team and they need the data from these custom fields.

Suggest an answer