Disable emails from Automation for JIRA

David Anthony December 17, 2019

When an automation succeeds, I receive an email from Automation for JIRA about what was updated in the ticket.  Is there a way to disable this email functionality?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2019

Hello David, 

you would need to go into the automation rule and edit it.

automation for Jira emails.png

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for the reply!  Here is what I see when look at the rule:

Rule.JPGI don't see that notifications check box.

Thanks,

Dave

Like # people like this

Oh wait.  Nevermind.  I was looking at the wrong rule......jesus...

Thanks!!!

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2019

Awesome! Glad, we could figure this out. Please mark this as answered if it resolved. your issue. Have a great day!

Boss July 26, 2020

@David Anthony I'm seeing the same screen as you were above (transition screen).  How do you get to the Edit Screen?  Thanks.

Like Jesse Kona likes this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2020

@Boss  you have to make sure you have an "Edit issue" action in your automation before you can go into that screen.

Like Tony_Stecca likes this
Mark Winston July 27, 2020

@edwin vasquez I added an edit action and still received a notification. 

For some quick background, I'm using automation to transition an issue to the "selected for development" status when an issue is being created.  I have a simple checkbox custom field to trigger this on issue creation.  So I don't really have a need for an edit component in my automation, however, I added one at the end of my automation and unchecked the email notification checkbox in the edit component as discussed above. 

Note: I started to get a failure notification since I wasn't editing any field.  So I had it edit dummy field and stopped getting the failure notifications,

Although, after doing this I still received a notification that the issue had transitioned to a new state.  So I realized that if I were to turn off notifications for issues I'm watching or I'm the reporter of (here /secure/ViewPersonalSettings.jspa#emailpreferences) then I don't get the notification.  However, that is a global setting and will apply to ALL issues rather than just the ones that the automation runs on.  I obviously don't want to set that setting. 

I think I'm getting this "transition" notification b/c I'm not the actor of the issue.  And it doesn't appear there is a way to change that. So I'm thinking I'm stuck, however, it sounds like others have solved this.  So if you have any thoughts I'd really appreciate it.  

Like # people like this
Daniel Lowe January 18, 2021

@Mark Winston I have the same issue, I'm using automation to trigger status transitions, I don't want to turn off the notification where these same status transitions are manual just where they're automated and going to spam people.

Like # people like this
Theodoros Karipidis May 11, 2021

Hey guys, 

Any suggestions in this case?

I have an automation that adds a label in a ticket, every time that a customer comment is added. (actor is: "jira.bot")
I removed the automation notifications, but I still get bell/email notifications from Atlassian since that event is an "Issue Updated" one.

Is there any way that you can think of, that I can block all notifications from jira.bot, when it updates the tickets with that label?

Like # people like this
veuncent November 18, 2021

The accepted answer here solved it for me: 
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/How-do-I-stop-Jira-email-notifications-from-sending-when-Jira/qaq-p/1667327

"Under Rule details, I simply changed the Actor from 'Automation for Jira' to 'User who triggered the event'."

Like # people like this
2 votes
Nofar Ben Kereth February 21, 2021

I checked this option, I dont get emails but it didn't disable the notifications to the Desktop Application. Does anyone know if I can disable it as well?

Sean Kubin September 26, 2021
Like # people like this
1 vote
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2019

Please mark this as answered if it resolved your issue. Have a great day! 🙂

0 votes
Tony Bathich September 7, 2022

It's tricky to find, thanks Edwin for sharing!

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2022

Glad this helped you!

Suggest an answer