Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I stop Jira email notifications from sending when Jira Automation assigns issue to yourself?

Edited

Very simple rule execution for when a "sub-task" is created; if the Assignee is blank, then assign to the Reporter:

Auto-Assign.jpg

However every time this action occurs, Jira will send out email notifications because 'Jira Automation' is assigning the ticket, so it's not considered a self-action (whereby email notifications don't get sent).  Shown here:

Email_Notifications.jpg

Is there a way round to stop this from happening?
In other words this should be a 'silent' event because the reporter triggers the rule, and so does not need to be notified.

P.S. obviously our users don't want to turn OFF 'get email activity if Assigned an issue' from Jira Personal Settings, as this is needed is an actual user changes the Assignee.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Okay so I think I may have just figured this out myself straight after posting lol.

Under Rule details, I simply changed the Actor from 'Automation for Jira' to 'User who triggered the event'.

Actor.jpg

And now no more email notifications are sent!

Please anyone do let me know if there's a better alternative to this solution though, thanks :)

0 votes
Curt Holley Community Leader Apr 19, 2021

You could also do this via a Post Function in the relevant Workflow.

Example: The field Fix versions will take the value from Fix versions. Source issue is the parent, destination the sub-task.

See here for details/inspiration: Configure advanced issue workflows | Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Automation

New to Jira Automation - goodbye Cron (sort of), hello new project created trigger, new additions to

Hey Everyone! Simeon from the Automation team here. I'm delighted to share some new features and improvements that we are shipping to Jira automation (Cloud only). Firstly, @Sam Harding&nbsp...

2,836 views 10 23
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you