Deleting inactive Users from Active Directory

Patrick Sacher October 30, 2018

Hi Community,

I have a simple question. If i delete a user from our Active Directory, for example he is not working in our company anymore, what happens with all his user data ? Timesheets, Logs, Projects etc. Because of data privacy, we need to keep any user data for a specific amount of time in our system. 

Could you explain this to me in detail ?

Best Regards, 

Patrick

1 answer

0 votes
david
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
October 30, 2018

Hi @Patrick Sacher The good practice is not deleting the users like you said, there is a lot of data to preserve. When you have Active Directory what you can do is to disable the person there (not delete it) and when sync with Jira will be disabled there too.

Patrick Sacher October 30, 2018

Hi David, 

Thanks for your reply, but what happens actually if i delete the user from the AD ?

Best Regards

Patrick

david
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
October 30, 2018

Then will be deleted also from Jira, there are some exceptions depending on the configuration between your Jira and AD but usually will be deleted too, that's why is better to disable them from the AD instead of deleting.

Suggest an answer