Delete Label in Jira

Ron Jacob February 2, 2018

Is there any way I can delete Jira labels ?

This is for Jira Server instance.

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2018

Hi Ron,

Take a look at How to delete labels in JIRA applications:

Note that in JIRA server applications, labels can only be replaced, rather than added or removed. See  JRASERVER-24118 - The labels fields should be additive when doing bulk updates Closed  for progress on this feature

You can make it so the labels no longer show up when browsing project labels:

To completely delete a label from a JIRA application project, the label must be removed from all the issues in that project. Once it is removed from all issues, it will no longer be seen when browsing a project's labels.

How do I find which labels are in my projects?

See Labeling an Issue.

How do I bulk-remove a label?

Both cloud and server application users can also watch the following feature request for improved label management in JIRA applications:  JRASERVER-33672 - Improve the way Labels can be deleted in JIRA.

Please vote on JRASERVER-33672 and JRASERVER-24118 to get this feature implemented in JIRA.

Cheers,

Branden

4 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2018

Only way to do it is to remove the label from all issues that is using it. Check out https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-delete-labels-in-jira-applications-297667646.html

2 votes
Matt Stephens June 27, 2018

We're on server 7.9.2 and there is an option under bulk to 'Find and remove these' which then let's you enter the label(s) you want to remove.  It only removes those ones.

1 vote
Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 17, 2020

If you have many labels that you want to manage or delete, removing from each issue will be very time consuming.

For that use case, you can use our app: Label Management for Jira

It allows managing labels (searching, filtering, changing name, deleting etc.) from a single page. Try it out and let us know if you face any issues.

Warren Sergent December 2, 2021

Thank you for this app - very useful and did exactly what we needed.

We had hundreds of labels across multiple projects, and wanted to delete ALL of these, as the purpose they had previously served was no longer relevant, and we wanted to start over with a fresh set of labels.

By using this app, we just needed to go to the project wide labels list and click 'Delete' next to each one we no longer required. The app did the rest - updating each ticket to remove the labels.

Now when we go to add a label on a new ticket, we are only shown the list we now want to see, rather than these old, redundant labels.

Massive time saver. Thank you.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Charlie_Vinall December 1, 2019

To completely delete a label from a JIRA application project, the label must be removed from all the issues in that project. Once it is removed from all issues, it will no longer be seen when browsing a project's labels.

Leslie July 1, 2020

This doesn't appear to be the case. I have a list of labels that still show in the list that I don't want, I do a search across ALL tickets for those specific labels and no issues are pulling up. So, why do those labels still show?

Like # people like this
yankovska.ira July 20, 2021

For me it is not working it this way also

Like # people like this
Rob Lucas September 6, 2021

same here

Like # people like this
Vivi Rishe September 30, 2021

Doesn't work for me either. It still shows the label.

Gonçalo Queirós November 15, 2021

Doesn't work for me either. I've deleted around 5 labels that I've created, and no one else probably used them. I'm a Jira administrator, so the changes of having some issues with these labels that I don't have access are close to zero.

I've logged out and the problem persists.

Like # people like this
Cintia Henriksson January 28, 2022

Same here

Johannes Schneider February 25, 2022

Same here. @Charlie_Vinall Where did you see that behaviour?

Patrick Nelson May 2, 2022

Yet again: Same here.

I say bug support about this. Maybe they'll inevitably fix this once they keep getting haunted by necro labels never going away.

Like Will Wang likes this
karim -Atlassway-
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 22, 2023

Colored Label Manager can delete and manage labels in system wide or within a project.

Suggest an answer