Delegated LDAP Authentication not working for new user directory

Nicholas Polifroni November 20, 2012

I have setup a delegated LDAP authentication and everything works well now for about a year. Now I need to change the LDAP server (because the old one will be decommissioned). So I created a new user directory with the new server configured. The test connection works, but when I try to log in, it tells me that the username or password is incorrect.

So then I created a user directory with the identical configuration as the working one (same sever name), and it still doesn't work.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2012

Hi Nicholas,

Are your trying to login with an user that is also on the other User Directory?

If so, are the passwords the same on both LDAP servers? Have you disabled the old User directory? Is the new User directory on the top position?

I recommend you open a ticket on support.atlassian.com to take a better look at this.

Hope my questions bring some light to what may be causing this problem.

Cheers,

Marcus

Nicholas Polifroni November 21, 2012

Thanks for the answer Marcus.

Yes to all the questions. What I think is going on is that the users are somehow linked to a user directory. So even if I create a new user directory which can act as a delegate, it ignores it and just tries to hit the old one (i.e. the ordering is useless). I will follow your advice and open a ticket.

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2012

Is the "Copy user on first login" is selected in the delegated directory configuration?

Nicholas Polifroni November 21, 2012

No. Should it be?

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
November 22, 2012

From what I've understand so far, you have created a new Delegated LDAP and wanted to use the new configuration and not the old configuration. If you are still seeing the users are in the old directories, you should do a migration using the migrate users features in 5.0.3 and later.

You would be required to select the "Copy user on first login" when you want the user to be pointed to the new Delegated LDAP configuration.

Nicholas Polifroni November 27, 2012

Thanks for your answers. I finally just configured the new LDAP server in the old configuration and crossed my fingers. It worked! I'm running an old version of Jira, so I don't have the migrate feature. I guess I misunderstood how the user directories work. From the coments I gather that once a user is linked to a user directory, the login will always try to hit that directory (even if it's disabled).

Suggest an answer