Custom select list with popup dialog

Heiko December 17, 2013

Hi,

I'm a newbie in developing Jira plugins and I would like to implement a custom field which consists of a select list (combo) and a button. When pressing the button a dialog should be shown and allow to define a string which should be added to the options of the select list after pressing a button on the dialog.

I've defined the custom field with its new created class in the atlassian-plugin.xml file and added a velocity template which fills the select list and adds a button for showing the popup dialog.

What I would like to know if it's easily possible to add a new option entry directly to the OptionsManager and to the select list and selecting the new created entry.

Do you have any hints?

As a quick hack I did the following: I append the new option to the custom field in the button handler inside of the vm file. In the class of the custom field I've overwritten the method validateFromParams and add the new option to the OptionsManager if it's not already defined.

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2013

OptionsManager has the createOption method. I suspect you are already doing it but it is too late for the validation? If so, I don't see an issue with your hack.

Heiko December 17, 2013

I add the new option inside of the vm file (when I close the dialog) like:

AJS.$("#customfield_10000").append(new Option("A new entry", "A new entry"));

The new entry is then selectable within the select list, but not as part of the OptionsManager. So when the user selects the new created entry and confirms creating the issue I check the selected entry whether the OptionsManager contains it or not. If not, it will be added to the OptionsManager (with createOption).

Well, I hoped that there would be an easier approach to do it.

Suggest an answer