Custom fields are missing on the add validation screen.

M Athish Krishna January 13, 2022

I tried to add validation for a custom field upon transition. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the expected custom field on the choose field. I tried on different transition too but no luck.

validation Error.PNG

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

I suspect you are trying a simple field validator - these only work with system fields

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Correct @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , just checked in my cloud trial.

M Athish Krishna January 15, 2022

Simple field validator?  Not sure

Upon clicking on the transition button in the workflow edit page, you can see add validation option. I have been using this option for years to add validation to both system and custom fields. However, it is not working now. 

I can see both system and custom fields in the drop down but those fields are limited. 

Even if I type the custom field name, I'm not able to see it on the drop down suggestion list. 

Mohajit Acharya April 2, 2022

@M Athish Krishna , is there a solution to this problem yet? I too am facing with one of the custom fields (Actual end). I want to put a validator to check that the "Actual end" is not empty while transitioning the status of an issue to Done.

Like Uri Shavit likes this
1 vote
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

Hi

Do you see any fields in the dropdown?

For many Jira pickers only a limited number are shown at first. For others you will need to start typing the field names so it can be filtered into the list.

Roberto Garrucciu January 14, 2022

Thank you! Typing the name they appeared in the dropdown 

I tried your suggestion too, but no luck.. earlier it was working but now it is not working. 

@Tom Lister thank you for your response 🙂

Yes, I could see limited number system and custom fields.

Even if type the custom field name, it is not appearing on the suggestion list. Rather it is showing irrelevant custom fields. 

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2022

Hi @M Athish Krishna 

I find the Atlassian search engine a bit odd. If you type a case exact name it will find the matches you want. If you type the same in lowercase the results include many result’s.

I wasn’t expecting you to see any custom fields after @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  ‘s comment on only working for system fields.

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2022

Have you tried ticking the ignore context option?

Although if a field context prevents it from being used in a project/issue type you will be an able to use it on an issue screen.

Derek MacNeil May 31, 2023

Having no indicator that there are more fields (having to type to find a field not listed) is completely not obvious.  There has got to be a better way to represent this..  like a "..." at the bottom of the list?  I was banging my head against my monitor trying to figure out why my field wasn't listed.  It showed up when I typed the name in.  I was getting very frustrated.  Poor monitor...

Rachel Wang July 10, 2023

Even I type the custom asset field name in the search bar, it still does not appear in the configuration, while some other custom fields do show up. Is it because it does not support custom asset field?

Suggest an answer