Custom field in Issue Search is not sorting correctly

Esther Strom July 27, 2017

I have a service desk project that I need to create a new queue for. We have some auto-generated emails that come in that we want to filter out. The email subject line (which becomes the summary in the Jira ticket) contains "SHCA-Journal Latency" - i.e. SHCA-Journal Latency-DALDATA08, SHCA-Journal Latency-CHICOLO-DB07 - CLEARED, etc.

I have a queue that filters them separately, like so:

project = PHIS and resolution = Unresolved AND summary ~ "SHCA-Journal Latency" 

This works correctly. But I also want to filter all of these issues OUT of other queues, and the reverse doesn't seem to work:

project = PHIS and resolution = Unresolved AND summary !~ "SHCA-Journal Latency" 

returns results that contain the search string, even though it should only be returning results that *don't* contain the string.

What am I doing wrong here?

EDITED:

I was able to get most of the items cleared out by adding a wildcard after them, like so:

project = PHIS and resolution = Unresolved AND summary ~ "SHCA-Journal Latency*" 

But when I try to put a wildcard at the beginning, to weed out replies (summary like "RE: SHCA-Journal Latency"), I get no results at all:

project = PHIS and resolution = Unresolved AND summary ~ "*SHCA-Journal Latency*" 

1 answer

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2017

Hi Esther,
I think I have a way to do this.  The first thing to do this would be to first save that first search as a filter if you have not already:

project = PHIS and resolution = Unresolved AND summary ~ "SHCA-Journal Latency"

When you run this search in the issue navigator, there is a "Save As" button up top, and let's say you saved this filter with the name "SHCAJournal1".   What you can do then is run a query that includes that previous filter name such as:

project = PHIS and resolution = Unresolved AND NOT filter="SHCAJournal1"

This would return all the unresolved issues in PHIS that do not match the previous saved filter.

Suggest an answer