Custom field accessing AO with custom data, display and making it searchable

I am trying to integrate JIRA with another system. So the requirement is that a single JIRA key can refer to many cases on another system.

Also I need to store few other details from the other system related to the case, like priority etc.,

I guess by writing a custom Active Object, I will be able to get the required storage done. But how do I link it with custom field with this kind of data, display and make it searchable? Any thoughts?

Eg. JIRA-101

==>CASE-23432 Priority-3 Assigned

==>CASE-23433 Priority-1 WIP

2 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes

You will have to create your own custom field type.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Custom+Field+Plugin+Module

Hi Jobin,

Do you know of any new customfield type that can be installed as a plugin, which will serve the purpose in my case? Thanks in advance!

The requirement doesn't seem generic and I suppose you wouldn't find one. I haven't seen one for sure.

hello karthik, i have to make a similar custom field- multi value custom field which stores database key of an external db record, but make it searchable within JIRA. do you mind if i ask how you ended up getting meeting your requirement?

I implemented a JSON web service to handle querying the external database and created a custom field extending AbstractMultiCFType to save the PK from external db. I have edited the views to properly display specific fields returned as JSON from web service. My issues:

- Having trouble getting my custom field class to save properly, not sure if I am overriding the correct methods in the correct way

- I know my custom searcher will be fairly complex, since I would like end users to search for values that are only being returned as JSON from the web service, is this even possible? Or do i need to store those values in JIRA in db or as an AO?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

440 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you