It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Custom field accessing AO with custom data, display and making it searchable

Karthik Bhat Sep 09, 2013

I am trying to integrate JIRA with another system. So the requirement is that a single JIRA key can refer to many cases on another system.

Also I need to store few other details from the other system related to the case, like priority etc.,

I guess by writing a custom Active Object, I will be able to get the required storage done. But how do I link it with custom field with this kind of data, display and make it searchable? Any thoughts?

Eg. JIRA-101

==>CASE-23432 Priority-3 Assigned

==>CASE-23433 Priority-1 WIP

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Go2Group] Community Leader Sep 09, 2013

You will have to create your own custom field type.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Custom+Field+Plugin+Module

Karthik Bhat Sep 16, 2013

Hi Jobin,

Do you know of any new customfield type that can be installed as a plugin, which will serve the purpose in my case? Thanks in advance!

Jobin Kuruvilla [Go2Group] Community Leader Sep 16, 2013

The requirement doesn't seem generic and I suppose you wouldn't find one. I haven't seen one for sure.

0 votes
Alex Moquia Mar 09, 2014

hello karthik, i have to make a similar custom field- multi value custom field which stores database key of an external db record, but make it searchable within JIRA. do you mind if i ask how you ended up getting meeting your requirement?

I implemented a JSON web service to handle querying the external database and created a custom field extending AbstractMultiCFType to save the PK from external db. I have edited the views to properly display specific fields returned as JSON from web service. My issues:

- Having trouble getting my custom field class to save properly, not sure if I am overriding the correct methods in the correct way

- I know my custom searcher will be fairly complex, since I would like end users to search for values that are only being returned as JSON from the web service, is this even possible? Or do i need to store those values in JIRA in db or as an AO?

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Demo Den Ep. 5: Meet Jira Mobile

See how to use Jira on the go! Demo Den Episode 5 is here: meet Jira Mobile with  Jira  Product Manager Rayen Magpantay.  Demo Den is in our monthly series where a Jira PM demonstrates...

315 views 1 10
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you