Custom Fields: Why can't I filter by my custom field or add it as a column in My Issues screen?

Steve Kelly June 4, 2013

I have created a custom field (text field, <255 characters). It has a search schema associated (free text searcher) and it belongs to a Screen (default screen). I can edit the field just fine on the ticket, but when I try to filter issues based on that field, or add the column to the My Issues screen, it will not let me.

Is this a result of the field being a "text" field? I would really like to keep it a text field.

Thanks,

Steve Kelly
Delivery.com

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2013

The screen doesn't matter for the issue navigator. To display a field in the issue navigator the field must exists for all potential selected issues of your search. Take a look at the field configuration and for which projects and/or issue types the field is configured. Than restrict your search to this projects/issue types and you should be able to select your field (in simple mode you may have to refresh the search after selecting the project/issuetype).

Henning

Steve Kelly June 5, 2013

You crushed it. That was the root of my issues - thank you so much!

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013

In recent JIRA versions you should be able to filter by "text" values of custom fields. If the field doesn't show up in you columns you might want to check the field's context...

Steve Kelly June 4, 2013

We're just using the OnDemand version, which I assume is the most recent version. Not sure what I need to configure on the context though. I assigned the screen to all standard issue types (not subtasks) and it's global, for all projects. What exactly would cause this field to now show up in filters? The Screen is in the Default Screen, using the Default Field Configuration... and I'm using the Default Text Renderer rather than the Wiki Style Renderer. Is any of that problematic?

Suggest an answer