Creating two boards for one project

Elinor Lloyd-Philipps May 18, 2016

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere.

We are currently using sprints for our project tasks, which are two weeks long. However, there is one developer in the team who works on the same project as the rest of the team, but he doesn't adhere to the sprint cycle (special case!). This means that he's basically using the sprint board as a kanban board, which is affecting the burn down chart negatively.

I have tried to create a kanban board linked to the project as well as the sprint board. The issue is that once I have created this kanban board, the original sprint board turns into the kanban board. 

All I'm trying to achieve is to have all 'standard' developers in the sprint board, the 'non-standard' dev in his own kanban board but both boards are linked to the one project.

Is this possible?

Thanks for your help,

Elinor 

1 answer

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2016

Hi Elinor,

Yes this is possible - you need to base the second board off a filter rather than the project. 

To achieve this and to gain maximum benefit you should follow these steps.

1. Create a filter to select the issues which are going to be handled by your "special case" developer. You may like to think about how you identify these. Is it just simply by assignee or some other condition?
  2. Save the filter and share with appropriate colleagues who may need to view the board to see what is happening.
  3. Create a new board but base it on the filter not the project.

As an extension to the above you can also amend the filter for the main project Scrum board to exclude the items being completed by your "special case" developer.

I hope this helps solve your problem.

Elinor Lloyd-Philipps May 19, 2016

Hi Phill,

Thank you so much for answering my question!

I have already got 'quick filters' at the top of the board with the developers' names, so under JQL we have 'assignee = dev.name' (example). However, when I go to create a kanban board for this developer, the JQL filters created for the sprint board don't appear in the drop down list. 

Should I be creating the filter somewhere else?

Elinor 

Elinor Lloyd-Philipps May 22, 2016

I have worked it out, thank you so much for your help!

Andrew Moran June 1, 2016

Hi I think this may be useful for me, how did you manage to get the filter to appear in the drop-down in question?

I'm trying to create 2 kanban boards with separate workflows/columns. One board will be solely for epics and will represent projects and then the other board will be the subtasks/tasks (epics removed). This way I can progress a project through the stages (columns) while putting tasks through the simplified 'backlog -> in progress -> done'.

However any suggestions how I can achieve that in a less 'hacky' that'd also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

Suggest an answer