Creating issue with external reporter/assignee using API

Rodrigo Guariento January 6, 2020

Does someone know if it possible to create issue with external reporter/assignee using API? Eg. I would like to use the API to integrate with my web platform, and this users will "create issues" through API in our Jira project "X". What's the suggestion to identify external users?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2020

Hi @Rodrigo Guariento

the users have to authenticate, if they want to send request via REST API.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/jira-rest-api-basic-authentication/

Users use their e-mail and generated token. Based on provided credentials Jira checks, if they have access to the Jira and can perform the action you want.

By external reporter/assignee you mean, that these users won't have their own accounts in your Jira instance? If so, you can create some special "system" account, which would be used in all the requests. I can imagine that you create some text custom field in Jira for the evidence of the external user, which would be filled during the process of issue creation. But it won't be possible to use this information in the fields Reporter / Assignee (these users have to have accounts in your Jira instance).

How many external users do you have? Are they changed often? Would it be possible to use select custom field for the evidence of users instead of just ordinary text field?

Rodrigo Guariento January 6, 2020

Thank you Hana, what you said about create some special "system" account is what I was thinking to solve this issue. I thought that could have some other way to use field Reporter/Assignee to external users.

I have unlimited external users, because our web platform (which I will integrate with Jira) have a bunch of companies, and each one are volatile, it means that they users change often.

Custom field could be a nice alternative to solve this issue. I will test it! Thank you.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2020

@Rodrigo Guariento 

I've been thinking about your use case - what kind of issues will the external users create? Maybe some kind of problems with your web platform?

Did you consider to use Service Desk? Then it would be possible to work with the external users - you could create them as a customers of your Service Desk portal and create the requests connected to their customer account.

You can have as much customers as you like, the price of the Service Desk is based on the number of agents (users who work on the created requests - responds to them etc.).

Rodrigo Guariento January 7, 2020

You're right Hana, the goal is receive comments from our external users, not exactly maintain a conversation with them, the idea is receiving a sort of feedback with an identified author.

I didn't know about Service Desk product. But in advance I think our company have only Jira product.

Thank you for your concern and hint, I will talk with our team.

Suggest an answer