Creating an EPIC issue as our custom name issue

Spartans May 19, 2023

For our project
We create an issue, In that we created an task and chose EPIC issue type,[We need our custom name to be added in EPIC issue], also we created a child issue in that and a child issue in that where we can see the percentage of work is completed. But not the EPIC. So my question is, Is there any options for showing percentage in EPIC platform and a custom field for EPIC.
Please let us know the options

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

Hello @Spartans 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Can you provide a visual representation of your issue hierarchy. Example

We created an Epic
Also we created a child issue in that
and a child issue in that

Can you provide a screen image to show us what you mean by "a child issue in that where we can see the percentage of work is completed"?

Spartans May 22, 2023

Lets take an example then.
For example. 

I'm going to buy a Cosmetics product.
So I create a project name with "Cosmetics Business"

Before buying, Im doing a "Marketing research Analysis" as an issue type and adding child issue like "Revenue converted", "product info" 
Now I able to see the percentage in child issue after completing the task.
Also I could it in the percentage in "Marketing Analysis" but I'm unable to see it in our Project how much percent is calculated totally.

Also since this is an example.
We could see only EPIC issue has some powers showing percentage and the standard issue type like "Marketing Analysis" has no power in that.

So I need total percentage of the Project completion,
percentage  completion of Issue type
percentage completion of child issue.
and can we create a Custom EPIC issue type with the dito access like that.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

So I need total percentage of the Project completion,

If you are using "project" to mean a Jira Project that you would see in the list of projects at https://<your URL>/jira/projects, you can see the percentage of issue completed in a project by creating a Jira Dashboard and adding a gadget to it that shows percentage of issues completed based on issue count. Two gadgets that can do that are the Pie Chart and the Issue Statistics gadgets.

Given that this is the native issue heirarchy:

Epic
|-- standard issue types (i.e. Story, Task, Bug, etc.)
|-- subtask issue types (i.e. Sub-task)

...when you say:

percentage  completion of Issue type (1)
percentage completion of child issue. (2)

Is (1) a standard issue type that is a child issue of an Epic? Is (2) a subtask under a  standard issue?

How would you want measure completeness of (1)? Would that be based on the number of its subtasks that are completed?

How would you want to measure completeness of (2)? It doesn't have any child issues to count.

can we create a Custom EPIC issue type with the dito access like that.

No, you cannot make additional issue types that have the same functionality as Epics using native Jira functionality. There is a change request for that here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-80492

With third party apps you might be able to use a custom standard issue type similar to how you would use an Epic, but it would not actually be an Epic type of issue.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events