Creating a task list template in Jira Cloud

p.chatoff December 14, 2018

I am trying to move a list of tasks from a spreadsheet to Jira. It is in the form of:

Onboarding

Task1

* Do1

* Do2

* Do3

Task2

*Check this

* add this code

----------------------------------------------

| code is here                                                       |

|________________________________________________|

* check this

etc..

I am having trouble figuring out how to do it and where to put it. I tried Jira markup but the show in view on a custom field did not work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2019

Hi @p.chatoff,      

You can try the completely free version of Issue Checklist app. 

When you install it, just go to the Jira issue page and start using it.

In case of any questions or assistance required, we are happy to help.

Cheers,
Jack

p.chatoff February 25, 2019

Thank you. I will look into this option.

Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 26, 2019

BTW. You can simply copy-paste the checklist from editor/spreadsheet to Jira issue: https://gebsun-support.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/IC/pages/862781442/Copy-Paste+checklist+items

1 vote
Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
February 26, 2019

Hello @p.chatoff 

As it has been mentioned, there are several Marketplace apps available, that can enhance your Jira issue view with actionable checklists. It seems that you are looking for something that supports multiple, named checklists. We have recently released a cheap, lightweight support for that directly in Jira issue view. The Multiple Checklists is available for Jira Cloud and Jira Server and seems to fit your needs.

Best,
Sebastian.

1 vote
Alina Kachan_Railsware_ February 26, 2019

Hey @p.chatoff ,

Did you have a chance to check out how the Smart Checklist add-on can help you with tasks lists in your Jira tickets? With the app, you can have high-level checkboxes with subtasks that have no checkbox (so-called details per checklist items), which looks to be something you are looking for.

Btw, to move your tasks lists all together from a spreadsheet to Jira, you can prepare a CSV file with your tasks in Markdown and import checklist values from the CSV file to Jira in a few steps. 

If you need any help with the process, be sure to reach out!

p.chatoff February 26, 2019

@Alina Kachan_Railsware_ , I initially was excited about this but whenever I try to add details below a checkbox it does not render. If I do it before a checkbox there are no problems. Not sure what is going wrong. I copied their example and pasted it and it still did not work.

Alina Kachan_Railsware_ February 27, 2019

@p.chatoff 

Totally my bad to have provided you with the link to  Smart Checklist  Free Trial add-on, instead of Smart Checklist Enterprise, which is specifically the add-on version with details per checklist items feature available. Hope you'll give the Enterprise version a go as well to fully assess the feature and see how it can meet your needs. Free trial available ofc. That'll be amazing if you let us know how it worked out for you. Thanks!

p.chatoff February 27, 2019

@Alina Kachan_Railsware_ Unfortunately, it would take longer than the trial to get buy in to pay for an add on which is nice to have but not mandatory. I needed to start with a free version. Thank you anyway. 

Alina Kachan_Railsware_ February 27, 2019

Got you, @p.chatoff . Anyways, if the priorities shift for you in some time - you are always welcome to join Smart Checklist Enterprise users community ;)

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2018

Hello Phillip,

Thank you for getting in touch with Atlassian Community!
As per I could understand, you are trying to create a ToDo list, is that correct?
If so, there are some add-on that may help you:
Checklist for Jira
Issue Checklist 🏆
Smart Checklist for Jira. Enterprise
Smart Checklist for Jira. Free Trial

If you don't want to use add-ons, maybe sub-tasks may help you too.

If that's not the case, would it be possible to send us more details about the feature that you need? Then we can check if there is a workaround.

Regards,
Angélica

p.chatoff December 20, 2018

Hello Angelica,

Html is gone so I am trying new functionality. I would prefer not to pay for a plugin for now.

I want a high-level checkbox with subtasks that have no checkbox. The new functionality for checkboxes does not allow for multiline. So they all need checkboxes.

With the old functionality, you cannot even create a checkbox unless I am mistaking. I want to see if there is any other options I am not aware of.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2018

Hi Phillip,

Currently, the only checkbox is the custom field, but it's not possible to set it to show a list of checkboxes.
We have a feature request suggesting the ability to have a To-Do list to add on the description of the ticket:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-47605
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

The workaround is to use an add-on. The Smart Checklist have a free version, you can check the difference between the paid and the free version here

Regards,
Angélica

Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
February 25, 2019

Issue Checklist comes with the completely free and full-featured version. 

The difference between free and paid versions is described in the documentation.

Cheers,
Jack

p.chatoff February 26, 2019

Hi @Jack Hunter [HeroCoders],

Unfortunately, while it does create a single line Checklist, this is already available in the Next Gen Projects. I need a list or description under each checkbox to explain how to complete the action. 

Thanks,

Phillip

Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
February 26, 2019

Hi @p.chatoff

Details (description) for checklist items is on the short-term backlog and it should be available within a month. 

If you like the other aspects and features of Issue Checklist then feel free to evaluate it for free for 30 days or try the free version (both have the same set of features).

I'll post an update here when the description feature is live. 

Cheers,
Jack

Suggest an answer