Creating a customfield type that is a mixture of existing types?

Bryan Karsh February 14, 2019

Hi,

A request I get often from people is functionality that munges the various custom field types. For example -- a checklist that generates a time stamp next to each checklist item when selected, and perhaps a small text box next to each checklist item for notes -- all in a single custom field. Imagine a Table where one column is a checklist, one column is a timestamp, and one column is for notes.

I realize that jira out of the box doesn't do this. But looking at the APIs, it looks like there are generic classes that can be extended.

Has anyone tried making a hybrid field before? Are there gotchas? Does the architecture even support that? For example -- if there was a field that had checklists and dates and text boxes in it... what sort of search index would it have (if any)?

Basically, I wanted to see if there was any wisdom out there saying "Dude -- bad idea" before seriously considering developing something like that.

And yes, I realize there are ways to approximate stuff like this via the Behaviours plugin, etc... I am looking to see specifically if there are any technical limitations to rolling your own frankenstein-custom-field.

Thanks!

0 answers

Suggest an answer