Creating a JSD project using shared configuration with existing JSD project gives an automation err

Paul Brown September 26, 2020

When I create a new JSD project using shared config from existing JSD project, I get the following error when trying to add or edit my automation rules:-

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 09.45.17.png

"Choose a different user so your automation rules will run as intended"

and

"The selected user has been deleted"

When I try to select a new users, I get the following error:-

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 09.45.23.png

"No options"

Steps:-

1. Created a new basic JSD project using the standard templates to test automation.
  2. Added a new rule to insert a comment after a status change
  3. Created an issue to test the automation - PASSED
  4. Created a second new basic JSD project using shared configuration (with first project)
  5. Reviewed the rules and got the error shown above
  6. Created an issue to test the automation - PASSED - so not sure what the error is about???

I get the same errors if I try to create new rules in the second project, but they do seem to run as the same user in the original project

Is this a known defect?

Thanks,

Paul.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2020

The Automation App User is the one which needs permission in your projects to run the automation

This is done by adding the group Im mentioned before. 

Although you used the shared permission scheme, did you verify the group portion I have mentioned?

Also, if the user you are trying to select a user that does not have an role in your project it will not work. 

People in the roles are not shared btw projects, you need to add the user in the role. 

Considering that is JSD project, this user, to perform actions need to be an project agent, otherwise he/her will not be able to trigger the rules. 

Paul Brown September 29, 2020

The user is assigned to the following in this 'broken' project:-

• Project Lead
  • Administrator
  • Service Desk Team
  • User

And also is:-

• Site Admin
  • Jira Service Desk access
  • Jira Software access
  • Confluence access

I've also added another user to the project and they have:-

• Administrator
  • Service Desk Team

and

• Jira Service Desk access
  • Jira Software access
  • Confluence access

But still when selecting the JSD automation config i get "Choose a different user so your automation rules will run as intended" and there are no options in the drop down....

Creating a new project from scratch works is expected - it appears to be only an issue with creating a project with shared configuration (but the project that the config is share the configuration with is working ok.

Maybe the answer is to create a new project and manual attach the share config?

Like Patricia Francezi likes this
Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2020

Per the snapshot you are using the legacy project automation for JSD.

Did you try typing the user name instead of waiting for option, as i mentioned earlier?

This is the problem, some bug, and I have the same problem here in my instance

No user showing when i click in the drop down menu

2020-09-29 07_46_10-NOC Servicos iDev - Automation - Service Desk.png

Started typing:

2020-09-29 07_46_38-NOC Servicos iDev - Automation - Service Desk.png

I know this is silly, but you should try.

That 'silly' answer was the correct one! 

Sorry for not trying that! 

Thanks for all your help!!!

0 votes
Paul Brown September 27, 2020

0 votes
Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2020

Hi @Paul Brown 

You need to check if your permission scheme has the Role 

atlassian-addons-project-access 

This will enable the automation user to be on the project. 

More info here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/blog/2017/02/add-on-permissions-update

Paul Brown September 27, 2020

Hi Patricia,

I don't think this is the answer as the permission scheme is shared by both projects, and this first project doesn't give this error, but the second project does.

Thanks Paul.

Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2020

I had the same problem. It was the permissions, but found another "tip"

Try typing the user, 

Found this here 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Our-automation-user-has-left-I-can-t-select-another-user-for/qaq-p/1425298

Thanks Patricia,

That didn't work either as the user hasn't left and is the very same user in the first (working) project.

Very strange.

Thanks, Paul

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events