Creating An Issue

Dipali Patel January 30, 2020

I recently learned how to close out an issue using the Resolution option. But now when I create new issues, it makes me select a Resolution. I don't understand why because the issue has yet to be worked on let alone resolved. I wanted to use the resolution option for issues that were complete and mark them as done so they would move to the Resolved or Done issues part of Jira. But how do I change it so I don't have to add a resolution when I create an issue?

I have tried using the Configure Fields option on the top right hand corner when trying to create an issue. I tried all and custom. In the custom, I un-selected the Resolution option but when I would click on create, it would make me select a resolution. So for now I just select Software Failure until I can figure out how to fix or change it.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andrea Mendez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2020

Hi! I think what's happening is that you share the same screen with all the operations (create, edit, view) in the screen scheme , what you need to do is create other screen for the create and edit operatios, and remove the resolution field from those screens, and just have the field on the view screen, but so you can edit the field when closing the issue, you will need to add the resolution screen to close transition, so the user can choose de resolution to set on the issue. Hope this helps

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2020

👍

1 vote
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2020

Hi @Dipali Patel ,

Can you check if you have added Resolution field in the Create Screen for the respective project? 
Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 23.51.16.png

-Sri 

Atlassian Support

Dipali Patel January 30, 2020

Yes I see that. But I'm just having some trouble trying to figure out how to exactly set it up. I don't want to mess up our existing boards.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2020

You won't mess anything up by removing the resolution field from the screen. 

Unless you specifically have a process that needs to create closed issues?

NEVER put the resolution on a create or edit screen, it's wrong.

Suggest an answer