Create an automation for Due date

DELACRUZ Guerdly (Gigi)
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 27, 2024

Hello! I'm trying to create an automation to change the due date and the trigger would be a change on the start/ due date on one specifc issue 

For example, i have an issue called "go live " that starts June 30th and the due date is July 25th. 

If a change is made on the due date/ start date it will update ALL issues in that project base on the number of days updated

eg. old Start date= June 30/old due date= August 30   -> change = +2days  -> new start date: July 2, new due date:  August 2 

My other options could be that when an issue in an epic start date changes it updates all related issues

I had done a few smart values but it would remove the due date value when I would update the start date. :( 

Thank you !

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2024

Hello @DELACRUZ Guerdly (Gigi) 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Take a look at the answer I added to this post:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Change-due-date-of-story-issue-when-epic-due-date-changes-while/qaq-p/2722945

I explain there how to calculate the change of duration when dates are changed, and then use that to update the date of another issues.

After reviewing that, let us know if you have additional questions about how to implement your requirement in automation rules.

DELACRUZ Guerdly (Gigi)
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 27, 2024

Would it be possible to do it for all linked issues related to that epic? 

For example, I changed the due date of the epic then all the children task in that epic will change. but I wanted to trigger also that related epic also change the due date which would trigger the change for their children tasks. 

Do you see what what I mean ? 

image (8).png

DELACRUZ Guerdly (Gigi)
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 27, 2024

ure ! Thank you that would be great ! :) 

Screenshot 2024-06-28 084845.jpg

image (9).png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2024

Hello @DELACRUZ Guerdly (Gigi) 

Yes, you can change the dates on both child issues and linked issues. 

The structure you have appears to be correct for accomplishing that.

If you change the date on Epic 1, and that changes the date on Epic 2, then I assume you want the dates of the children of Epic 2 to also change. In that case you need to have this box checked on the Rule Details page.

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 8.03.16 AM.png

Do you want this rule to run only when the date on an Epic is changed? If so, you should add a condition after the Trigger to confirm that the Issue Type of the trigger issue is Epic. Otherwise this rule could be triggered for a date change on any issue type, and could then try to change the dates on other issue types that are linked issues.

For the change to linked issues, do you want to update only Epics that are linked to the changed issue? If so, you should add a condition in the Linked Issues branch also to confirm that the issue type of the linked issue is an Epic.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events